I know I'm being selfish, I don't mean to but I can't get rid of these feelings.

Today is our 20th wedding anniversary and I was looking forward to celebrating by going out for the day alone. My sister was going to help me take care of my daughter. Only problem is I totally forgot about what to do with our puppy. We just got him and taking him to a pet sitter is out of the question because puppy has to be at least 3 months and ours is only two. I know it's stupid but I'm angry because I won't be able tospend alone time with my husband. Since our daughter was born 11 years ago we have not been alone. He works about 16 hrs. a day, 5 days a week and when he is off my DD and I compete to try to get some conversation with my DH. At the end I just end up giving up and letting her have dad's 100% attention. I love my daughter, I just wish I could have my husband to myself for one single day. I feel angry.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:29 AM on Jul. 27, 2010 in Relationships

• so put the dog in the bathroom with a toy and a blanket
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 3:31 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• First, Congratulations on making it to 20 years. I would ask a neighbor to watch the puppy or even your sister. I would find the biggest rawhide chewie and put the puppy in the bathroom as suggested above, and have a great time. Even if you want to go out for dinner, leaving a dog in the bathroom with the light on and the exhaust fan going with food and water will not harm the dog a bit. You are not being selfish, with the amount of hours worked by your husband, daughters have a way of getting daddy's attention. Again, congratulations and have a wonderful time. If you cannot have one entire day by yourself, each month on the 27th day of that month, plan some small way to re connect with dear husband. Even a picnic in the backyard, an early breakfast in bed, etc.

Joeygoat

Answer by Joeygoat at 3:46 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• for real its a puppy not a baby. it will be fine if you want a night out
    MoMoFu

Answer by MoMoFu at 3:49 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I agree with the first poster. It's a puppy you wont get arrested.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 4:10 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Congrats on the 20 yrs! Go out! You are allowed to feel angry and dont forget to make up this day on a very soon weekend. Yes, leave that puppy, he'll be fine for the night. Also, by you taking hubby and having time together instead of your dd, even if its 15 min everyday reinforces to her that your marriage is so important, she will remember that when she gets married.
    cynthiaesquivel

Answer by cynthiaesquivel at 4:34 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I agree that by doing things with your spouse you let your daughter know that your marriage is important. It lends to her sense of stablity. I admire that you step aside for father/daughter bonding but you shouldn't always do that. She will grow up and move away someday. It I good for her to know that you and daddy have a special bond. Have her take the dog and care for it. Tell your husband how important it is to you. Maybe he has a solution to the problem. Never know.
    bjane01

Answer by bjane01 at 7:27 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Congratualations on the 20 yrs. That is huge my marriage broke up on 20 yrs but to your question go buy a pet taxi or small kennel and put the puppy in that, That's where my dogs are either while we are gone for an hour or all day just leace some food, water you'll have to clean it up and probably wash it up but that's ok. Go out have fun with your husband celebrate away and do this more often sounds as if you 2 need more alone time anyway. Be happy it's only the dog things can and will be worked out buy that pet taxi or kennel it'll save you from being angry. Have Fun Good Luck !!!
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 8:22 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• why can't your sister also watch the puppy while she is watching your DD? Yes, put the pupy in the bathroom, thake anything chewable out, put a towel or two down & w bowl of water...he'll be fine. If you go to a shalter, they keep their puppies in a cage...i think he'll be fine in the bathroom aswell. It's reallly not a super big deal, i would not let a puppy ruin my anniversary.

Also, people LOVE puppies, if you don't like the bathroom idea & your sister won't watch him, i guarantee you can find a friend who will keep him for a few hours. Actually, i did that for a friend 2 weeks ago. Although i kept the puppy for the weekend & i had so much fun with him!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:06 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Send the puppy with sis and dd or have some teen come in and check on the pup.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:31 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Your sister with won't watch the puppy.
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 10:32 AM on Jul. 27, 2010