i'm breastfeeding and have ulcers in my mouth should i be concerned?

just a couple ulcers 2 on gumline. any one have or had same thing? had them for 4 days. Just recently have gotten my period thought maybe it had something to do with that? First time mom so kinda clueless.

nativan06

Asked by nativan06 at 7:02 AM on Jul. 27, 2010 in Health

• It shouldn't make a difference with the breast feeding. Just treat the ulsers with sea salt water and continue feeding as normal. I would be careful of any OTC drugs and make sure they are safe to use while breast feeding.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:16 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Have you been eating a lot of fresh tomatoes or strawberries? Or a lot of fresh fruits that you aren't used to? Ulcers can form in your mouth from that. And it isn't any big deal. If they bother you, use a hot water/salt mixture to rinse and spit. And if you can use sea salt all the better.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 7:22 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• No. Ulcers are usually from having too much acidity. The ulcers wouldn't cause any issues for you or your baby when it comes to breastfeeding.
    acurran88

Answer by acurran88 at 7:39 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• It shouldn't be a problem. Although, If you get them frequently, your body may be running low on b12. I used to get up to 6 ulcers at a time, and as soon as i started taking b12 vitamins, they went away and i almost never get them anymore.
    Morgs7531642

Answer by Morgs7531642 at 12:03 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• thank you everyone did realize i'm eating a different strawberry jam ( dfferent than I usually use) tried it today and the ulcers got so irritated! And they showed up around the same time I bought it. Using the warm salt water mix. Feels better. Thanks again!!!
    nativan06

Comment by nativan06 (original poster) at 3:20 PM on Jul. 27, 2010