Why is it that Atheists and Pagans can get along but Atheists and Christians cannot?

This is a spinoff from an answer beeky gave in another question. From what I've seen and witnessed here at CM in the past 3 years, it seems true. I don't recall a Pagan, Wiccan or Satanist ever being mean to an Atheist or the other way around. But day after day I see it happening between Atheists and Christians. What is the difference here? They are all religions and yet only animosity seems to be between those of the Christian faith and those who are Atheist.

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 7:27 AM on Jul. 27, 2010 in Religious Debate

• I am a Christian and I better get along with Agnostics and Atheists, I married one! LOL
    Honestly though, there are some Christians who are very evangelical and insist on "spreading the Word" to all. I see it a lot more here on CM but living in the Bible Belt, I see it all the time in RL too. Once a Christian knows someone is an Atheist or Pagan or anything besides Christian, they think it is their duty to convert that person to Christianity. It doesn't matter if that person has heard the same thing 5000 times, the Christian still tries. Quite frustrating actually. In most cases, it winds up pushing the non-Christian further away and in some cases even ends up with that person hating Christianity (my husband is the perfect example of the latter, I'm trying to teach him that we aren't all bad, LOL).
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 7:51 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Because Atheists and Pagans don't tend to try to convert one another.
    Bezu

Answer by Bezu at 7:46 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Hey I'm Christian I get along with atheist and pagans. I think there are to many hollier than thou Christians!
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 7:41 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Beth, there's a difference between saying that you find something morally wrong FOR YOURSELF and saying that law should comply with your view, and be imposed on those who believe differently. I've given thumbs up to christians who say they disapprove of gay marriage but that they wouldn't prevent others from marrying based on their own beliefs.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 4:43 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

•  But then why, if Atheists have an attitude problem, do they get along fine with the religious people of other faiths?

Because Atheists don't have an attitude problem.  They have a problem with being bullied!

beeky

Answer by beeky at 10:34 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• not once have I seen a pagan insist that
    1. they or their belief system invented marriage so all marriages, believer or non, must conform to their definition
    2. theirs is the only right way
    3. I'm less of a parent or a citizen due to my perspective

nor have they come to my door to try to make me pagan, or used threats of endless punishment to sway my position.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 3:49 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I don't know aout others but I can be and have been friends with Atheist and Pagans as a Christian. It's kind of all about respect. They know what I believe and why and I know what they believe and why. i feel I have done my part as a Christian by have the discussion once. There is no need to keep bringing it up. If they have questions they ask and I answer. Same with me. YOu can't lead someone by pushing, to lead you have to be a good example and part of being a good example is not getting pushy and 'Holier than thou' (pun intended) a person can be a good person and a good friend without being of the same religious views.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:32 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Atheists seemed to be sorely offended to hear that there is one true God, Creator of Heaven and earth, and the Creator of YOU

No, everyone who isn't a follower of an Abrahamic religion finds that concept offensive, just as you would if I followed you around and insisted you were a child of Odin. Do you not understand WHY that is offensive?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:48 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• it's well known what an Athiests is.

not from what I've seen here. devil worshipper, self worshipper, unfit parent, amoral, believer in nothing? FALSE

autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 3:52 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Which is really odd when you consider Classical Paganism, specifically Rome in antiquity, did not tolerate Atheists at all. It was to the point that Atheism was considered the biggest public moral concern, responsible for the degradation of the family unity and social morals. Which is why when Christianity was young, it was considered an Atheist religion because it denied the Gods and only claimed one, and claimed a higher authority than what the government gave all the other religions; received a large share of discrimination. Considering Christian history, some long grudges still continue. .

isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 7:51 AM on Jul. 27, 2010