What the hell is wrong with my kid!!??

he is 8 1/2 months old and is up all night! he went to bed at 11 and was up at 1 and hasnt been to bed since then! he has eaten has a clean diaper and is tired but wont go to sleep!!!! what am I doing wrong!? I thought I was done with the up all night stage but I guess not. He takes one nap a day at like 1 pm until 3 pm. I just cant do this anymore. and I get no help at all from my SO. maybe Im just not cut out to be a mom. is there such thing as insomnia in babies?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:59 AM on Jul. 27, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I am sorry to hear about the lack of sleep. It is a nice thought for every baby to be absolutely perfect and sleep through the night but it just doesn't happen a lot of the time. Is he still breastfeed or formula/food? Is he In his own room/crib? What were your bedtime routines before this started happening? I know with both of my children I tried to establish a bedtime routine very early. Both of them I believe where about 2 months when we would eat, bath, sing a song, rock for a few minutes, and then lay down. It certainly didn't happen over night but they took to it and now they are 3 and 1 years old and they are still in that very routine that I introduced to them a long time ago.
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 8:06 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I bottle feed him and his bedtime used to be 11 pm to 8 pm and he never woke up once starting a 4 months old. when he turned 7 months is when it started.

Alysia_Moore

Answer by Alysia_Moore at 8:16 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• awww don't be so harsh on yourself...there are things to try...maybe try putting soothing baby bath in his tubby before bed...if he likes popcorn some research has shown that popcorn actually has a chemical in it that helps us sleep better...try giving him a nap earlier in the day and see if that helps...hmmmm i am not a mom but i have been a nanny for 13 yrs...i have seen almost every problem that could come up...this is not uncommon at all...i'm sure you are a great mom...you are here looking for answers...asking for help and that is a great thing...he is getting himself over tired and that doesn't help...i am sure you will figure out a way for both of you to get some sleep...good luck and please try to get some rest...
    jiggy349

Answer by jiggy349 at 8:11 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• i know is sounds wierd, but try giving him a bath with lavender soap. have you noticed if the baby's teething? try using baby oral gel at night and see if that works. you could also use ground up cloves mixed up with warm water. it's just as safe as the other stuff, just not as much. also try to shorten his nap. good luck.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 8:13 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• he already has 8 teeth so I doubt he will be getting more for a little while.
    Alysia_Moore

• All of my babies have done this (well, not my 3-month-old, yet). My children didn't sleep consistently through the night until around 15 months old and even then, there are still the occasional middle-of-the-night upsets. On those nights where LO doesn't want to go back to bed, I just wear the baby in the wrap and walk, walk, walk. It usually takes around 2 hours, but they eventually fall asleep.
    shakesrear

Answer by shakesrear at 8:29 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Did you give him another bottle when he woke up? My 8 month old has started waking up again at night and is nursing more. He is going through another appetite increase.

If you have done everything you can for him, leave him in the crib to play and fall asleep. Don't let him get up. Babies and children need to establish good sleeping habits. Letting him get up when he wakes up is just going to maike the problem worse as he gets older.

Good luck! None of mine ALWAYS slept through the night until they were almost 3 years. They will have nightmares, need to adjust to sleeping in a 'real' bed, and just need to learn good sleeping habits. You will have this off and on for the next few years. Thankfully it doesn't happen a lot as they get older, but it will still happen!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 8:34 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Try taking him for a ride in the stroller around the living room... That might help him pass out.
    Happypancake

Answer by Happypancake at 8:52 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• A major growth spurt is at you doorstep as well as major milestones. FYI Five hours is considered a sleep through. The VAST majority of babies wake every 3-4 hours on average for needed feeds and/or peeing. They wake more during growth spurts, teething, and new milestones. In the first year, sleep patterns change a lot and a baby may sleep a long stretch one week during a growth spurt and the next wake frequently. All normal. Sleep patterns don't really settle into a more mature pattern until age three or four. Some babies sleep a lot in the first half of the year, but end up waking more later. There is nothing "bad" about a baby that doesn't sleep long stretches of more than four to six hours...they aren't bad sleepers as some say. They are quite normal. It's actually we adults who have forgotten how to sleep effectively because we watch the clock too much.

We cosleep so we get lots of shuteye despite wakings.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:29 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I'd try putting the baby to bed earlier than 11... in my experience if they get too tired they won't go to sleep (counter-intuitive I know)
    good luck!
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 9:30 AM on Jul. 27, 2010