How long do you estimate it will take me to lose....??

How long do you think it will take me to lose 80lbs i currently as of june 26 weigh 237lbs, im going to be walking atleast 2 miles per day if not more, and eating hopefully 2000calories or less.

lauren92

Asked by lauren92 at 8:13 AM on Jul. 27, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• It's healthy to lose 1-2#s a week...if you lose 2 a week --- just over a year to lose(13-14mths)...I'm in my own weight loss project :) I took up kickboxing and some weight classes @ a local gym,made a huge difference. GL!
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 8:16 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• See your Dr for how many calories you need to take in a day to loose or maintain your weight. 1200 is the average for a woman. How fast you loose will depend on how many calories you burn and how many you take in. At 3 Pounds a week, it will take you about 26.6 weeks to loose 80 pounds, and you DONT want to loose any more than 3 a week. Best of luck to you.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 8:22 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Losing weight slowly is the best way of ensuring you'll keep it off! You may lose more in the beginning, but then you will plateau and that can get frustrating. I think 2000 calories a day is more for the average woman to MAINTAIN their weight. Under 1500 calories a day comprised primarily of PROTEIN, and low/no fat and low/no carbs will be the most effective way to lose weight, in addition to moderate exercise.

When you walk, time how long it takes you to complete your route, then each week, try and beat that time--so that you are constantly pushing your aerobic capacity--and thus burning more calories--even at rest!! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:38 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• As everyone else said, Go for about 2lbs a week.. And always keep the end goal in mind --- KEEPING IT OFF! :) If you lose weight the wrong way or too fast, your more likely to gain it all back + plus more!
    Whatever you do to lose weight, make sure it is life long changes.. Outragous diets do not work long term. and just screw up your metabolism..
    Dont forget to do strength training! Muscle burns more calories, so if you gain muscle you can lose more weight without trying as hard :)
    Best of luck to you! Im trying to lose weight too but am struggling big time with it.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 8:51 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Find a BMR calculator, I like this site. This will tell you how many calories your body needs every day to keep functioning. Make sure to scroll down and see what different activity levels change the amount you burn.

One pound of fat is equal to 3500 calories, so for instance if you were to take in 1500 calories per day and your BMR says that you burn 2000 then that would be a deficit of 500 calories burned per day. 500 calories times 7 days a week would equal 3500 calories burned for that week, equaling 1 pound of fat. Of course this is just an example, and BMR is just an estimate but it does help to figure out a realistic goal. Good luck!

shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 9:08 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• you should try Sparkpeople.com they have support a meal plan and groups in your area. GL Momma
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 9:12 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• If you know you're daily calorie deficit this will figure it for you: http://www.freedieting.com/tools/weight_loss_calculator.htm

Freedieting.com also has a calorie counter that will give you the calorie count for extreme fat loss(for those with more than 30lbs to lose):  http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm#

Basal metabolic rate(the number of calories you need per day to basic bodily function) *IS* weight dependant.  So you're probably closer to the right amount of calories per day to lose weight than those giving you advice.  Check it with a calorie counter, and stick with the guidelines.

Good luck!

desert_diva

Answer by desert_diva at 9:14 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• weight watchers was the best thing i ever did.. u could either go online or go to meetings but it helped me lose faster than on my own! gl!
    zperez0809

Answer by zperez0809 at 9:18 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• It took me 10 months to lose 62lbs but I did it with Weight Watchers. Best thing I ever did. Everyone is different so no one can tell you how long it'll take you to lose weight..too many factors to think about. It's healthy to lose 1-3 lbs a week. Good luck.
    drpepper73

Answer by drpepper73 at 10:42 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Get your heart rate up at least 4 times during your walk. Whether that be a short run or a sprint. Then let it cool down then up again. Make sure you sweat where it is running down your back and the back of your hair is wet. I think you could lose a inch a month if you are consistant.
    Esmrlda

Answer by Esmrlda at 2:43 PM on Jul. 27, 2010