Why do doctors know nothing about birtch control? I went to a doc yesterday to discuss my very few options and i asked her what they were, and she just shrugged at me and said we could try the one my body just rejected? make sense to anyone???

CaylebsMommy328

Asked by CaylebsMommy328 at 8:25 AM on Jul. 27, 2010 in Health

• I would find me a different doctor to go to. It sounds like may not have much experience with birth control.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 8:30 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• No. But I think Drs are just guessing sometimes. I can't use hormonal BC anymore. My body reacts the opposite of how it is "supposed" to react now. When I was put back on the pill to regulate my cycle, I would have a period for the 3 weeks of active pills and no period during the 1 week of inactive pills. Weird. What was the doctor's plan? Try a different pill. The same thing happened. Now the Dr says I can't use any hormonal pills (but my insurance also won't cover any additional testing to determine why the hormones suddenly have the opposite effect on me).
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 8:31 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Ack, typing too fast. That last sentence should be "Now the Dr says I can't use any hormonal BC" (that should not say "pills"). LOL I need an edit button.
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 8:32 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Doctor's know PLENTY about birth control options--and there are PLENTY of options available. If you're not happy with what your doctor suggests, then it's time to find a new doctor!

You could also do your OWN research on the various forms of BC, then present them ALL to your doctor, and see what s/he says. If you insist on not taking a pill, getting your tubes tied, or getting the Depo shot (or equivalent), and instead rely on less reliable methods, then you are only limiting yourself and increasing the odds that you'll get pregnant again.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:33 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• That goes to show doctors don't know everything. I would find another doctor that can aleast give me some basis information.
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 8:36 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• no, it doesn't make sense. My Dr. is awesome & always VERY informative with everything. She is super smart.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:50 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I would find a different doctor. Obviously yours isnt helping you fina an appropriate solution to your concern
    JacyB

Answer by JacyB at 9:37 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I would find a new doctor. When I have started birth control in the past my doctor gave me a whole bunch of options, anywhere from over the counter stuff to the traditional birth control pills to IUD's etc. Many different options. He knew also what I should not take and told me why. He took the time and answered all my questions.
    mecontumacious

Answer by mecontumacious at 10:01 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• All Doctors know about birth control.Maybe you just don;t know how to listen? Wow, the posts here are ....strange.
    Anonymous

• no i didnt haver to listen all she did was sit there and shrug. like my 5 year old.
    CaylebsMommy328

Comment by CaylebsMommy328 (original poster) at 1:05 PM on Jul. 27, 2010