UGH ... When will my 9 month old sleep through the night

My first son didn't sleep all that well either. Now my 9 month old is following his footsteps. I can't exactly do the CIO method, because they don't have doors on their rooms. Nice right? We are tempted to just go buy some and put them up even though we are just renting. But he is up 2x through the night. I change him, feed him (sometimes he eats 4 oz sometimes 7 or 8). I just wish I was one of the lucky ones to have babies sleep all night, or at least a 6 hour stretch!! LOL Suggestions, ladies????

2BlondeBabies

Asked by 2BlondeBabies at 8:51 AM on Jul. 27, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Five hours is considered a sleep through. The VAST majority of babies wake every 3-4 hours on average for needed feeds and/or peeing. They wake more during growth spurts, teething, and new milestones. In the first year, sleep patterns change a lot and a baby may sleep a long stretch one week during a growth spurt and the next wake frequently. All normal. Sleep patterns don't really settle into a more mature pattern until age three or four. Some babies sleep a lot in the first half of the year, but end up waking more later. There is nothing "bad" about a baby that doesn't sleep long stretches of more than four to six hours...they aren't bad sleepers as some say. They are quite normal. It's actually we adults who have forgotten how to sleep effectively because we watch the clock too much.

We cosleep so we get lots of shuteye despite wakings.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:11 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• You give him formula? Does he eat solids during the day? He's probably not getting enough to eat during the day and wakes up hungry at night. What does he eat during the day and how much?

Try to give him 3 meals and 2 snacks a day as that's what children at his age should be eating, and see if that helps any.

GL!
    He also might just wake up because he's used to it and knows mommy will feed him.

Try the food thing and then you will have to try the CIO method even without doors. The doors are just so you don't have to hear him crying, but they don't really have an effect on the baby.
    mypreciousbabe

Answer by mypreciousbabe at 8:57 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• you might have to try the cio bc at this point he probably knows that mommy will come get me..i also agree with the first post he might just also be hungry try to feed him big meal before bed and/or a full bottle of formula to help him sleep better...i did the cio with my first son and as heartbreaking and sometimes frustrating but it does work
    zperez0809

Answer by zperez0809 at 9:14 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• If you wake only twice, that IS fortunate. most adults wake at least once even if they don't remember. I wake once just to pee myself. Its adults who must adapt. We aren't growing and going through rapid development and can do for ourselves. 9 months is a very major growth spurt too!
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:16 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Most people don't realize that we pee when awake, needing to pee wakes us up. A dry diaper won't change that, it just means a baby must sleep with a soiled diaper. Sleeping and peeing is taught when people "sleep train" but that backfires later when doing late toilet training. waking is a good thing and natural thing. My baby is 10 months and completely out of diapers for a month dry at night long before that, because when i wake to go she does too. she wakes twice to eat and pee. occasionally once.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:23 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Giving food right before makes it harder for him to sleep because digestion is supposed to stop while he is sleeping but will continue going if he has just eaten. It's very common for sleep to be disturbed while they are either cutting teeth or working on milestones (like walking, crawling, hand/eye coordination) in these cases you just have to be patient and wait it out. I wouldn't feed him too much to get him back to sleep, just enough to satisfy him and then rock him or pat his back to put him to sleep. He needs to learn how to fall asleep without drinking from a bottle, this will help with nighttime waking up because he'll be able to put himself back to sleep. Try really hard not to get frustrated and stay calm and gentle. Keep lights off or low. Take naps during the day if you need to. Make sure he's getting his naps in too, otherwise that can keep him up at night as well.
    Cassarah

Answer by Cassarah at 9:47 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Another year, or so!

We coslept to save my sanity; it was easy for me to sleep/doze while my daughter nursed.

If you are feeding him cereal, especially at night, this can often disrupt sleep patterns.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:09 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• My doc said my son didnt sleep though the night because I wasnt feeding him enough during the day. I started giving him 6 small meals a day, and snacks. and before bed a bottle with rice in it- he started sleeping just fine after that. I think alot of it has to do with the fact that ur little one knows u'll go in there. peice of advice, NEVER put him to sleep with a bottle, I learned the very hard way that it causes bottle rot, my 10 month old has 4 cavities already :(( I'll NEVER put my son to sleep with a bottle again.
    JnCV

Answer by JnCV at 1:02 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• He does eat 3 meals a day, with us. And eats snacks. I give both boys dry cereal right before bed. That's what we sit and eat while watching out night time wind down show. He is on formula and goats milk. I also have tried putting him in Pampers night time diapers instead of the cloth diapers, seeing if that is the issue....him waking because he is so wet. And not really notice a difference. I don't let him CIO because I don't want my 23 month old waking, he is a LIGHT sleeper. They both have fans running in rooms to drown out noises. BUt I am home with them and my hubby is away a lot so it's too much when they are both up at once I have learned. I don't know if he needs to suck or what. My first was the same way. He still wakes sometimes and wants a drink.
    2BlondeBabies

Comment by 2BlondeBabies (original poster) at 9:14 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• amileegirl....Thanks, my mom said I didn't sleep through the night until I started kindergarten. I know it's more common to not sleep all night than to. I just hope I am not giving into a pattern LOL But I can't let them cry either, I just can't.
    2BlondeBabies

Comment by 2BlondeBabies (original poster) at 9:15 AM on Jul. 27, 2010