Does everyone see the same ads on Cafe Mom, or are they based on our profiles and/or online activity?

I'm an HR Director and a huge percentage of the ads I see are HR and business management related. What type of ads do you see?

FeelinYummy

Asked by FeelinYummy at 8:53 AM on Jul. 27, 2010 in About CafeMom

• From the Privacy Policy (link found at the BOTTOM of EVERY page): Cookies. To help make sure you receive information that is relevant to you, our Site uses data "cookies." These cookies are small data files stored on your computer which identify you as a previous visitor to the Site and help us to personalize your experience when you arrive.
    *******
    I know from having ads on my owns sites that cookies also allow the ads to be tailored for the visitor. This video explains how google uses cookies to make ads relevant to the person viewing the page. Again this is based on the cookies stored on the browser on the certain computer. If you are viewing CM from work, then I'm sure that most of your browser history has to do with work. That's why you are getting a ton of HR ads.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 9:30 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I don't know, I really don't pay that much attention to the ads.
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 9:19 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I really don't think they're based on your profiles or online activity. I see a TON of ads for products and services for babies and small kids, and both of my kids are teens. I also see a lot of ads for things like cell phones and stuff, when I live overseas (which is visible through my ip addy on the computer), and US cell phone companies don't do business here.

I think that it's just that you notice them more because it's for something that you have an interest in. Me, I notice them because it gives me a giggle (a very small one, but still...) because I'm like - yeah, ok, because I SO want to buy some baby yogurt or I really care about the current cell phone apps - when I move home in 2 yrs, that's going to be obsolete...
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:22 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Sahm - that's good to know :-) Maybe I just get the "generic, shown to everyone" sorts of ads, because I clear out my cookies, and I don't have any sites / go to pages that would give them any reason to think that I had small kids, or was interested in a cell phone. lol -in fact, the closest to them being able to think I have small kids is I come to cafemom, and the cell phone thing is funny, because I'm actually a member of a group here for military families stationed overseas.

So maybe I should customize more, so I don't get the generic ads lol!
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:37 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I know that video explains how google "interest" based ads work. I also don't believe that CM uses google ads. To be honest, I'm not totally sure because I NEVER see ads on CM or any site I visit thanks to firefox and the addon adblocker plus. Even though the video is for google ads, it's relevant because it explains HOW ad companies use cookies to make/show "interest" based ads. I also know from the privacy policy (again link at the bottom of every page) that CM uses web-beacons too. Web-beacons also collect information. Even if you have teens but spend a lot of time viewing sites, pages, relevant to younger children, babies, etc your "interested" based ads are going to reflex your browsing history on the computer you are currently using. If you share a computer then you may see ads based on what other people have been viewing too. So if someone else in the house has been viewing a bunch of baby sites........
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 9:40 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Or that too: The baby/cell phone ads could just be the "generic" ads that everyone gets shown, because they don't have enough "history" on you to know what topics would be more relevant to you! LOL
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 9:43 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• lol - I think it's because they don't have enough history on me, because I'm pretty computer savvy, (What I did before I became a SAHM involved a lot of computer work, and my dh still does a LOT with them with his job.) I just haven't ever really paid attention to cafemom's policy on it, because like I said, I clear out my cookies all the time. Plus, this is the only site I come to with any sort of regularity that could possibly lead anyone to think I have small kids (since there are a large number of women here that do - more, I think, than there are women with teens or older).

It is a good question though, and it's good to know their specific policy for how they do their ads, though, lol, I'm still going to delete my cookies and etc.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:57 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I see local ads, like The Museum of Science and Industry

Answer by rkoloms at 10:07 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I don't see that many ads. The ones I tend to see are food related. I'll have to pay more attention next time.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 1:03 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I also don't believe that CM uses google ads. To be honest, I'm not totally sure because I NEVER see ads on CM

I just wanted to address this since the rest of the info was really helpful. CM does indeed use Google ads. Occasionally they aren't geared toward a mom/parenting site and need to be reported to TPTB.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 6:00 PM on Jul. 27, 2010