Are you ever concerened that your child is underweight?

DS is 8. He is right on track with height and is a size 1 shoe. Hes VERY active but is underweight. However i think its just because hes soooooo active!

boolie79

Asked by boolie79 at 9:18 AM on Jul. 27, 2010 in Kids' Health

• My kids are very thin but when I bring this up to their doctor, they say he kids are right where they are supposed to be. Because the 'norm' of society today leans towards being heavier, when we see a child who is at their deal weight, they tend to look underweight.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 9:20 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• my cousin has this problem with her son and she claims he is very active too.. i am not at all saying this is ur situation but my cousins son doesnt eat enough.. he refuses to eat and she just allows it and he is also v anemic... this may or may not be ur situation at all so please dont take anything im saying the wrong way... u may want to try one of those like pediasure things to help him go up a little... what does ur ped. say?
    zperez0809

Answer by zperez0809 at 9:21 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Yes! My son is literally bony. We let him have seconds on ice cream, he drinks whole milk and we let him eat pretty much whatever he wants. Doc said he won't starve to death, he just doesn't have much appetite. He told us to give him Boost and such to increase his calories if we wanted to.
    komby

Answer by komby at 9:22 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Well my daughter has always been in the 50% percentile for weight and 95% for height lol. So she is tall and skinny, but she is only 20 months old so I know why she is non stop. But I am not too concerned she has been underweight once but quickly regained the little weight she had lost.

cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 9:23 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• For a while my daughter was "underweight" according to the charts based on her age and height. It was a side effect of the heart meds she was on and the heart problem she had. I was always worried that she was too skinny. She didn't eat much either. But since she was just below the underweight line, the doctor felt she was fine. She's not anymore! She's been off the meds since February and has gained 10 pounds! We were all happy when she got more hungry and more active.
    Now, she's 5 1/2, 45 pounds and 47 inches tall, size 13 in shoe!
    If your son's doctor isn't worried, I wouldn't be either. It may just be like you said, he's skinny from being so active. :-)
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 9:24 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• My dd was 5 15 @ birth & has always stayed small. The biggest she's ever gotten was the 10% percentile. Now she's about the 3rd but she's the most active little kid! She's developing ahead of schedule when it comes to speech & motor skills, she's just gonna be tiny!
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 9:24 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I honestly have never brought him to the dr for this as a concern simply because of his amount of energy. I figure if he never ate, or wasnt active then i would worry about saying something to the dr. However we have been to walk in clinics when he has a cold or what not and the drs there have never been concerned. Maybe i will try boost.. its much cheaper than pediasure! We are back to whole milk too so hopefully that will help.
    boolie79

Comment by boolie79 (original poster) at 9:29 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• My son is only 5, but he was born in the 10 percentile for weight and 90 percentile for height and is still about there so he is tall and skinny. Our doc has never been concerned with his weight as long as he is eating and sleeping well and not showing other signs of issues. I would say if the doc is okay with it and he seems to be eating healthy and sleeping well then don't worry much. My husband was the same according to his dad as a child and I chalk it up to genetics mostly. I was NOT that way and my daughter seems to be following in my footsteps (not chubby, but definitely not a skinny child either).
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 9:30 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• My son has always fell in the 25-35th percentile for height and weight. We figure he might just be a little guy,but you never know,once puberty hits they can shoot up!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:47 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• no I'm not concerned and I have VERY thin kids(my 8yr old is in the 5th percentile and my 18mo isn't on the charts).  As long as they stick to a growth curve consitantly, keep gaining then they are fine. I try to up their healthy fats as much as I can, like avocados. A Here is a link u may find helpful if u want to put weight on them and maybe to consider any underlaying causes like a gluten intolerence http://www.healthy-cooking.info/gain.htm  

and here is a link to a thread on cafemom on the topic http://www.cafemom.com/group/110860/forums/read/11854077/UNDERweight_children?next=11#replies

Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 10:17 AM on Jul. 27, 2010