If you believe in the God of the Bible, do you support the Olympics?

I'm only asking because the games originally stem from Pagans, and I was told that some oppose it for this reason.

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 9:29 AM on Jul. 27, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'm a Christian, and I have no problem with the Olympics. I don't watch all of it, but that's because there are many of the events that hold no interest to me, not because I have any sort of religous objection to them or anything...

To me, that's like saying I'm also not going to eat corn, because after all, it was the Native Americans (who didn't worship the Christian God) that taught the Pilgrims how to plant it...
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:32 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• A lot of things resulted from these "pagans."- The Greeks- democracy, a good part of our language, sciences.

Answer by Bmat at 9:33 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Oh please! That's ridculous! Halloween is a big controversy too with Christians, but in reality as kids it is one more reason to get dressed up and pretend, but you get to go out in the world with everyone else and do it. It is what you make of it. If there were Pagan rituals involved or Pagan values being shared then yes, I might, but the Olympics is a competitive sport. For the record the Christmas tree itself is Pagan! The lottery is out and out gambling...the list goes on.
    Genigen

Answer by Genigen at 9:38 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I am a Christian and watch the Olympics, I have never heard this connection. There are a lot of things that aren't originated directly from Christianity but doesn't make it anti-Christian.
    allennole

Answer by allennole at 9:50 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I've never heard of that before lol. I'm a Christian, and I watch the Olympic events that interest me. There are religions and customs that have been around much longer than Christianity, so trying to boycott them based on their origin is pretty silly to me. Christians that stick their nose up to something because it isn't "Christian enough" aren't actually following Christ's words. So in turn, they aren't being "Christian enough". lol
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 9:58 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• ive never heard of that....i wouldnt see why not.. its just a bunch of ppl doing different sports.. i dont thnik God would have a problem with that
    zperez0809

Answer by zperez0809 at 9:30 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• never really thought about it. As a Christian I am against Christmas and Easter though because of the pagan origins. I guess I should be against the Olympics too so no one accuses me of being hypocritical :-)
    missionarywifey

Answer by missionarywifey at 9:46 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I believe in the God of the Bible, and I do not support the Olympics. However, the fact that I don't support them has nothing to do with my belief in God. I don't support them because they have become so political and really. in my opinion, a hoax.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:48 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• hmm, Never knew that and now that I do, I still don't think it matters. I see it as nothing more than various sports competitions.
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 11:22 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• i believe in that God and have no problem w/ Pagan things, so more Olympics & Christmas & Easter & Corn for me, thanks!! if i separated myself from every thing w/ Pagan origins i'd have to live an Amish lifestyle and i bet even they have things that originated w/ Pagans...shoot the majority of the world was/is Pagan in some sort or another.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:07 PM on Jul. 27, 2010