How tall is your 4 (or almost 4) year old?

My daughter's doctor has been saying for awhile now that she is going to be really tall. Every time we go anywhere, strangers always think she is in Kindergarten or 1st grade. And when she's around kids who are 5 or 6, she's always the same height or slightly taller.

She turns 4 in September and is 41 and 1/2 inches tall.

momof3inTN

Asked by momof3inTN at 9:38 AM on Jul. 27, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• that site has a children's percentile calculator too. At 4 years old and 41 1/2 inches your daughter is at the 83rd percentile in height. It actually has my son as being above average too, around 60th percentile, I'm surprised because it seems like his friends have all shot up taller than him recently. Here is the link for children's percentiles:
    http://pediatrics.about.com/cs/usefultools/l/bl_kids_centils.htm
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 10:15 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• he was 3 ft 1in at 4

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:39 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• My DS will be 4 in Oct. He's 38 inches tall. He grew 2 inches since march. Isn't it unbelievable how fast they grow? When he wakes from his afternoon nap, I swear he grew.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:42 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• LOL They do grow really fast! My daughter shot up. Only a month and a half ago she was just 40 inches. Now she's 1.5 inches taller and wearing size 5 and 6 girls clothes.
    momof3inTN

Comment by momof3inTN (original poster) at 9:44 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• My son turned 4 in April. At that time he was 43" tall.
    mecontumacious

Answer by mecontumacious at 9:45 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• My son is going to be 4 towards the end of december and he is only 37 inches. Average height for a three year old is 33 inches and average for a four year old is 37inches . I think girls are normally taller at a younger age than boys, may be the reason why the doctor said that. But every child grows and does everything differently so you wouldn't be too concerned as long as she is developing at a steady pace. After all doctors don't know everything at is why the call it "practicing " medicine.
    Brittyt4you_

Answer by Brittyt4you_ at 9:47 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• My oldest turned 4 earlier this month. She is 43 inches.

Holy cow. The average height of a 3-year-old is 33 inches? What? My 19-month-old is 33 inches. That can't be right. I think she is tiny.
    mommy2aftan

Answer by mommy2aftan at 9:50 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Brittyt4you - that's the truth. Kids do develop differently. My boys were just so much shorter at this age (and still are short for 10 and 8). My daughter is only a head shorter than her 10 year old brother. LOL We do have a lot of TALL (6 foot plus) relatives on my mother's side of the family. Too bad it missed me, I'm only 5'4". I absolutely wouldn't mind of my daughter got to "tall" gene, just not sure how I'll feel in my old age having to "look up" to my child. LOL
    momof3inTN

Comment by momof3inTN (original poster) at 9:52 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• At 4 my son was 41 in, which I have written down as being the 55th percentile. Now he is 4 1/2 and 42 inches and seeming a little short. Britty, where do you get that the average height of a 3 year old is 33 inches? I think you're off a year. My 2 1/2 year old is 34 inches and at the 10th percentile in height. http://pediatrics.about.com/cs/usefultools/l/bl_percentiles.htm
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 10:07 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Thanks mybella81! Awesome site (me, the google addict didn't think to google this before asking a question, LOL). Last time we went to the doctor she was in the 95th percentile for height. LOL So she's dropped a little bit.
    momof3inTN

Comment by momof3inTN (original poster) at 11:27 AM on Jul. 27, 2010