Puberty in boys

My son is 9,and I believe,in the very beginning of puberty. He's starting to get that long limbed gawky look,and is starting to get moody.Does puberty usually go slow in boys,or will he change overnight? LOL We're not looking forward to this time because he's autistic and has issues with verbal communication.

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 9:54 AM on Jul. 27, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• A few years before puberty (active puberty, when their hair starts growing and their voice deepens) starts in boys their hormones start going a little haywire, they get moody and overly emotional. The hormonal part of puberty can last for 5 years (I know what you're thinking.....I have 2 boys and my oldest has Asperger's). Normally though (and some good news!) boys are nothing compared to girls when it comes to their hormones going crazy during puberty. I never heard of this before but did you know that when boys go through puberty their nipples can "puff" up and have a hard lump under them? They become very sensitive and hurt to touch......My SIL told me that this happened to her son and she freaked out about it, called the doctor (who told her is was normal) then her DH also said it was normal.
    colethky

Answer by colethky at 10:13 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I am relieved to hear that my son isn't the only one with anger out bursts and mood swings. Puberty and the hormonal effects of puberty is not discussed with regard to boys nearly as much as it is with girls. I must admit it has taken me a little off guard. Everyone expects it with girls! I also had no brothers so I did not have any experience with it growing up. Just like everything else though, I think it is important to give them support and guidance and for us parents, remember this too shall pass!! :)
    tianagreen

Answer by tianagreen at 12:32 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• bumped ya
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 9:55 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Hopefully someone knows because I have a 10 year old boy who is the same way and could use an answer to this question too. LOL My son is gangly, gawky, awkward and VERY moody! He gets mad or sad at the drop of a hat. I wish he'd get happy that fast. LOL
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 9:56 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Well, mine is 14 and still hasn't completed puberty. He started around 10ish. He informed me a while ago that he has "ballfro"...LOL and yet, he still has no Armpit hair or any other. He looks like an 11 year old still and is still confused as me over the phone, so, I am going to go with slow. At least it is in our case...
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:04 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• thanks!

Comment by butterflyblue19 (original poster) at 9:56 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• My son has the nipple thing on one side. I looked it up online and found out it was normal. LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:31 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I think it depends on the child. My son transitioned through puberty rather quickly (and earlier than most of his friends) and it was a total piece of cake. My daughter, on the other hand, will be quite a different story I'm afraid.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 12:21 PM on Jul. 27, 2010