Are you tired of your teen having you walk on egg shells?

My daughter yells at everyone, pushes her sister and swears she can do what she wants to do.

I was 24 when I had her, and yes I did spoil her the guilt of her dad not being a good dad was killing me... He was never there. So I spoiled her to compensate for my bad choice, now I am trying to get things under control and DON'T KNOW WHERE TO START.

I am not beating her ass, How can I handle when she yells??? is disrespectful???? don't brush her teeth??? Don't want to do her Homework????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:00 AM on Jul. 27, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Sorry but this is so not going to happen over night. You have to rule with the iron fist when they are young. I understand guilt based parenting...I too was divorced. But now you have a mess. How old is she? You are going to have to sit her down lay down the rules and the results if she breaks them and then stick to them no matter what. It will be bloody hell for awhile...but if you stay strong and use tough love then you will get there...but it is going to take a looong time to undo all of this.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:15 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Teaching appropriate behavior is one of those things that needs to be done all along, right from the very start. At this point, you're going to have to have some tough consequence for bad behavior and she's going to be mad as hell. You'll have to hang tough, over and over again, and it's going to take a lot of work. Good luck.
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 10:26 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I have to agree with salexander, sit her down and spell it out. This is what is expected of you and your behavior. And this is what happens if you go against my wishes. Be fair and honest. A curfew, homework, chores, what ever it is you want. She will fight it, she has gotten her way for so long that it will take time. But the longer you stick to your guns the better. When she sees that it isn't worth acting up she'll start to change. You know what to do, it just won't be fun.
    wallmom1

Answer by wallmom1 at 8:00 PM on Jul. 27, 2010