• In the Spotlight:

starting solids

what schedule does your ped, want your baby on for starting solids? Mine says at 4-7 mo's introduce all of the stage one foods (about 2 1/2 weeks). then move into stage two for 3-4 weeks, do the stage two meats, then start on table foods. That just all seems really fast to me...

jedwards2009

Asked by jedwards2009 at 10:35 AM on Jul. 27, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It is really fast and before you know it you will be onto real food.... and the fun begins!

It will seems fast, but it goes by to quick!
    jking48444

Answer by jking48444 at 10:40 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• She didn't put us on a schedule. She just said no solids before 6 months. Your baby should decide when it's time to move to the next stage, not the pedi.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:40 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I would do it at a pace that's comfortable for you and the baby. You're the one raising him, not the doctor.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 10:41 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Well, I didn't start DS on solids until his 6 month b-day. I gave him homemade foods only. So most of the foods he ate were probably in the stage 2 already. He liked having texture in his food - never liked the watery purees. He was only on that kind of food for about a month. He then moved on to table foods very quickly. But I didn't give him meats until he was at least 10 months. Try this website - it was wonderful in helping when it came to feeding my son! http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/

Katt709

Answer by Katt709 at 10:46 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I wouldnt think a schedule like that is a good idea. Every baby is differnet. My doc said introduce 1 new food every 5-7 days. That way if they have allergic reaction you will know what caused it.. I am starting solide right now and found alot of goog info in the book 'Super Baby Foods".Tells you how to begin and how to make your own.
    wood1980

Answer by wood1980 at 10:54 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I prefer to never spoon feed purees. I prefer to wait until the kid is sitting up on it's own and reaches and grabs food and can eat soft chunks. Then, feed avocado, sweet potato chunks and banana...by finger feeding himself.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:15 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Mine didn't suggest a schedule either, just said between 4 and 6 months when the baby seems ready. I think she might have suggested starting with rice cereal with my first baby, then trying something else after a week, and waiting at least 3 days in between each new food, but that's all. I wasn't told I had to do stage 1 and I never have. I started my other two on fresh banana that I just mashed with a fork or put in a mesh baby feeder.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 11:24 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Ours had veggies and fruits starting at 6 months. Then at 8 months dairy products like cheese, yogurt, etc., but not milk. At 9 months grains and meats. He has no egg, not even yolks, until 1 year, though. He did suggest rice cereal at 4 months, but I told him I wanted to skip the cereal and just wait until 6 months. He was fine with that. Although we waited until 7 months and we just mashed/pureed food at home. She rarely got jarred food.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 11:48 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I'm probably one of the few who doesn't ask their doctor for feeding schedules and has a doctor who agrees that before 6 months is too early and that its find to wait until later and that babyfood is especially unnecessary.

You never have to give baby food or puree. It's expensive, and doesnt' taste good and is uninteresting. It's no wonder children balk at veggies. Just give regular table food -- fruits and veggies of appropriate size. You can start with naturally soft foods like avocado, sweet potato, butternut squash, and ripe pear. If your baby is able to sit up unassisted, has lost the tongue thrust reflex, and can manipulate food with the tongue and self feed there should be very little fuss involved -- except for cleaning up a mess. Babies can't digest solids well, so it doesn't matter if they don't eat much. These "stages" of jar food and cereal are a marketing ploy.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:37 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• We began at 7 1/2 months when my baby stole food from my plate and put it in her mouth and it was gone. At 6 months she didn't have tongue control and still had some tongue thrust. She's 10 months now and has had every fruit and veggie imaginable including asparagus, kiwi, guacamole, hummus, blueberries (cut in half), hummus, beans, cauliflower and just about anything you can name (except meat, fish, dairy, and nuts). She's even had onions and bell peppers. The only thing she spits out because of taste is undercooked broccoli and cold hummus. She self feeds for the most part. Baby led Weaning (aka introduction to solids)
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:41 PM on Jul. 27, 2010