HELP!! I am trying to ween my almost 24 month from her bottle!

I know it was a big mistake to keep this long but now I am really having trouble. Does any1 have any suggestions?? Please....

Juni_Saffy

Asked by Juni_Saffy at 10:39 AM on Jul. 27, 2010 in General Parenting

• Take the bottles out of the house. If they aren't there, then you have no other options. Get some sippy cups or straw cups instead.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:41 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Throw them all away and tell her they are gone. She's a big girl and doesn't need baby bottles any more. She may have a fit for a day or 2 but she'll get over it. I threw my son't bottle away at 11 months old.
    texasmom1800

Answer by texasmom1800 at 10:42 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• If you want her off, just take it away and listen to the screaming for a bit.

Or...take away a feeding at a time. Replacing it with a sippy.

Or, let her keep it until she gives it up on her own.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:42 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I remember a mother telling me she tied all the bottles to helium balloons and let them go and told her daughter they were going to other babies that needed them.. Also did this with the Binky too!!!
    PageKing

Answer by PageKing at 10:43 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• My firstborn wasn't off the bottle until he was 2 1/2. Don't worry!! How often does he use the bottle? We had my son down to JUST bedtime (and when he was really sick - to keep the fluids in him). I like doing it slowly - rather than cold turkey. My son was drinking about 2 bottles at bedtime. We started allowing only one bottle of milk and then a sippy cup of water. Then we switched to half a bottle of milk and a sippy cup of water. Last, we gave him a bottle of water - which he hated. Eventually it was just the sippy cup.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 10:47 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I would just take them away and replace with sippy cups...
    Judmr

Answer by Judmr at 10:51 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• You're far from bad for waiting. Lots of people do. 

My suggestion would be: 

Set up a date with your toddler, go to the store together, let her pick our her new sippy cup for the picnic you are having at the park. Praise her choice in cups. Take a mini or big picnic to the park, let her pick our a fluid that is going to go into her sippy cup. See if she'll name her sippy. 

I think involving them in the change really helps, as well as trying to get them to find a bond with the sippy that can replace the bond they have with their bottle. 

Good luck on the change. Whatever you do be consistent in it. : ) 

Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 10:56 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Thanx so much for all the suggestions. It's nice to get adive from the parents who have or are going through it. I feel horrible for letting her keep this long. It didn't seem like a big deal.
    Juni_Saffy

Comment by Juni_Saffy (original poster) at 11:05 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Honestly, I wouldn't get rid of it. I refused to force my children off the bottle. I let them decide when they were done with it. My oldest had his until he was 2.5 years old and then HE threw it away one day. A sippy is just like a bottle so I don't see the need to get rid of bottles really.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 12:13 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Go to the Supernanny website, she has some really great methods for helping with this. In one case she had the children put the items (bottle, sippy or paci) in a chest. After a certain time they open it with a key and the ____ fairy has left them a huge prize! It seems to work. I never have tried it. My children didn't take a paci and my eldest gave up the bottle easily. The baby nursed, is now weened, but he still complains about it.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 9:41 AM on Jul. 28, 2010