Pin worms? Anybody know anything about these?

I took my 4 year old to the Dr. for her private area itching & I told them that she had mentioned her rectum itching once in a while. So she said it may be pin worms because they can gt into the provate area & make it itch also. So they are treating her for yeast & the pin worms. This makes me sick to think about the worms being in her body! Anybody else's children had these?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:45 AM on Jul. 27, 2010 in General Parenting

• I had them as a child. The eggs are carried on the fur of animals. If you have pets or strays, everytime your child pets them, make sure to wash her hands. They get into your body via the hands.

There is nothing wrong with them. Many children get them. Just get them treated and then be proactive about washing hands.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:46 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Yes, my daughter had them when she was about 7. They are common in children. They get them from playing outside in the dirt.
    Mria1964

Answer by Mria1964 at 10:47 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I had them as a child, and we just studied it in school last week. They are transferred easily among school aged kids, or daycares. Child gets them, itches butt, later on they get transferred to the mouth (because let's face it, that's common with little ones), and the eggs are ingested from under than fingernails, and it's a cycle. They come out of the rectum during times of rest like nighttime, and during naps and lay eggs, it itches, child scratches bum, carries eggs under nails, the cycle goes on. Wash sheets, towels, undies in hot water, and make them wash their hands often, use a little brush for under the nails or have them scratch their soapy palms to get under the nails. Best of luck, it's gross, but very common, has no reflection on hygiene of the home or family, just something transferred easily among children.
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 10:57 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• If it truly is pinworm, then make sure you change your child's sheet's DAILY to help as well! Also don't allow them to wear the same night clothing, unless it's been washed (in hot water like AshleyBDG stated) . I know she's being medicated for it, but you also don't want to be reinfected once the medication is done. Think of it like head lice. For head lice you have to treat the head lice, but you also have to treat the environment or you get a reinfection. Same thing. You need to treat the pinworm itself, and she on meds for that, but you also need to treat the environment, clean sheets, and night clothing (including undies), daily. As others have pointed out pinworm is a COMMON childhood illness. Just like lice, etc.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 11:17 AM on Jul. 27, 2010