If your 16 yr old daughter is diagnosed with Ovarian Cancer, would you allow her to have sex? adult content

I have a friend whose daughter was diagnosed with Ovarian Cancer at the age of 16. My friend told me that she told her daughter to have sex with her boyfriend (who had been her best friend since grade school), so that she could experience it without pain for as long as she could. The mother also told her that if she decided that she wanted to be a mother that she should think about making that choice while she was still able to have children. What would you do in this situation? This is one of those things that I go back and forth about. I agreed with my friend, but honestly as a mother of 2 girls, myself, it's very hard to say what I would actually do in a situation like that.

sjbort

Asked by sjbort at 11:01 AM on Jul. 27, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• The question here about ovarian cancer in a teen is a hard one.

The mom supporting and encouraging baby making and sex.

Yes it's unfortunate that if she doesn't experience it soon she may never know what she's missing. However if she were to have a child now... she's already be loosing a lot. LOOSING her independence before she's even had it. Loosing the early 20's phase where many 20 year olds get to be selfish think of themselves and what they want in life. If you have a baby you can't be selfish at all. 

So really what's more important to her? At 16 can she really decide what's best, what she truly wants... those are life changing experiences.

Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 11:28 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I would not, in any way, encourage a 16 year old to have sex. Regardless of the circumstances. But I might try to get her to save some eggs if the situation was such that she would not be able to have kids after treatments.
    Katt709

Answer by Katt709 at 11:04 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Absolutely not. Granting "permission" to have sex at 16? Irresponsible as hell. Absurd. A medical diagnosis does not change whether 16 year olds are ready for sex. And "ready" has nothing to do with what the child wants to do.
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 11:06 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• no,I'm not understanding why this diagnosis should change the fact that she's not emotionally ready for sex at 16.She wants her daughter to get pregnant in case she can't later?!? that's messed up!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 11:04 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Well, I wouldn't want my 16 year old to have sex either way really.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 11:05 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I get where she is coming from wants to get as much living as her illness will allow, I agree, but I would not push it along.

Answer by older at 11:05 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• She could still get pregnant.... No I wouldn't because I would want my daughter to find someone to love her and for her to be emotionally and mentally, physically ready for when it happens.
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 11:06 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• an adult would have a hard time finding out they have cancer. now the mother expects the teenager to adjust to having cancer and possibly becoming a teenage mom? thats crazy! sex and kids would have been the last thing on my mind as a teen and on my mothers mind. and why encourage her to get pregnant with all the treatments the teen is going to have to go through. some treatments she might not be able to get if she is pregnant, that would cost her her life. they need to be thinking about the cancer and how to deal with it, not sex
    jamiethornton26

Answer by jamiethornton26 at 11:08 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• It makes no sense to me. What if she were 13 when diagnosed? I agree about saving eggs if possible.

I have a friend who had endimetriosis as a teen. Her doctors encouraged her to try to get pregnant and she wasn't even married! She finished college, married her long-time BF, and waited until marriage at 23 to consummate their relationship. They did struggle with infertility for several years, but God is faithful and they are now expecting their 3rd child! IVF for first twins, and naturally this time. I believe that God's timing is perfect and will pray for healing of your friends' daughter. God bless you & your friends! :)
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 11:11 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

Oh yeah, never thought of that, That sounds like the best possible answer to me.

AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 11:12 AM on Jul. 27, 2010