How often do you replace the curtains, bedspreads/comforters in your home?

I recently saw on HGTV that if your stuff is more then 9 years old it's already outdated.Wondering if that was just a comment to get people to go out and buy new stuff they can't afford.

Moms_Angels1960

Asked by Moms_Angels1960 at 11:12 AM on Jul. 27, 2010 in Shopping

• As needed! My curtains are several years old. Some of the curtains where here already when we bought the home in 03, some of them were ones we made for our windows. I just have bought cheap fabric and sown the curtains we needed. So they were the color and length I wanted. My living room curtain, that is 12 foot long cost me $6 to make. They are just simple curtains. Our bedding is as needed. Kid's bedding doesn't wear out as fast, because I have extra sheets, blankets, etc. Some of it is several, several, years old and hand me downs from other relatives. Our bedding on the other hand, we only have the one set, so it only last us about 12 months, because of the frequent washing.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 11:29 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• curtains,I'd say every 5 years. bed stuff about every 1-2. It doesn't stand up to repeat washings

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 11:13 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Only when they wear out and actually need replacing.
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 11:12 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Well we just moved 6 months ago and I got all new curtains except for my bedroom curtains. I buy a new down comforter every other year.
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 11:16 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• If you don't go by the trend of the minute, your stuff won't be outdated. We buy simple things the best quality we can afford, and care for them well.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:20 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Rarely. I would say every 5 years or so - but we don't use our comforters. Because they are so expensive, I have the kids fold them down at night to the end of their beds and they use their sheets and blankets for covers. I buy "sets" for their bedrooms and can't imagine replacing the sheets, curtains, decorations, etc. more often than that!
    Answer by missanc a minute ago

We don't use our comforters either we just pull them down to the end of the bed. I just thought that it was odd that they would say things were outdated when someone would put them on a garage sale or give to the goodwill etc someone would buy them how does that make them outdated?
    Moms_Angels1960

Comment by Moms_Angels1960 (original poster) at 11:23 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Every 3-5 years... if I am changing the look or if its worn out.
    9 years seems like a really long time to keep bedding to me.

We USE or bedding. I love a fluffy down comforters and soft bedding.
    Niki_sd

Answer by Niki_sd at 11:54 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

Answer by missanc at 11:19 AM on Jul. 27, 2010