Georgia University Tells Student to Lose Religion, Lawsuit Claims...

A graduate student in Georgia is suing her university after she was told she must undergo a remediation program due to her beliefs on homosexuality and transgendered persons.
The student, Jennifer Keeton, 24, has been pursuing a master's degree in school counseling at Augusta State University since 2009, but school officials have informed her that she'll be dismissed from the program unless she alters her "central religious beliefs on human nature and conduct," according to a civil complaint filed last week.

If Keeton fails to complete the plan, including additional reading and the writing of papers describing the impact on her beliefs, she will be expelled from the Counselor Education Program, the lawsuit claims.Keeton has stated that she believes sexual behavior is the "result of accountable personal choice rather than an inevitability deriving from deterministic forces," according to the suit.

momof030404

Asked by momof030404 at 11:13 AM on Jul. 27, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I'm assuming this is a state school subject to the state constitution. That states constitution must be in line with the US constitution. Education is apart of government and those who educate cannot prohibit a person from engaging in thier personal beliefs as it would be against thier constitutional rights. States do not have the power to control the students belief. I'd have to get the whole story and look at the complaint filed to see exactly what she is suing for.
    lawmom27

Answer by lawmom27 at 5:32 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I have mixed feelings about this. While her beliefs should not be used against her and she should be able to have her own beliefs, I wonder if she will try to spread her prejudices against gays to her students whom she will be counseling? I would hate to think she willl insist that homosexuality is a choice...because it is not a choice.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 11:31 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• The school isn't telling her to denounce her religion. She being told to attend workshops in order to be able to practice her chosen profession according to its code of ethics. "I can’t alter my biblical beliefs, and I will not affirm the morality of those behaviors in a counseling situation." Right there she is stating that she can not do her job in accordance to the code of ethics for counselors, because she will not separate her personal beliefs from her chosen profession and is refusing to attend workshops that will teach her how to work within those set ethics.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 1:38 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Now I know MANY of you dont agree with her beliefs BUT do you think they should be able to deny her a degree on them?

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/07/27/georgia-university-tells-student-lose-religion-lawsuit-claims/#content

momof030404

Comment by momof030404 (original poster) at 11:14 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I would transfer to another school where they won't put her beliefs on the line for her education.
    unicornangel

Answer by unicornangel at 11:15 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Wow, I don't agree with those beliefs but for sure that school should not be denying her anything or forcing her to do anything. Unless there is something I don't know about she will win this hand over foot.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 11:25 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Here comes the camps! lol Seriously,anyone who doesn't think the same must have their brains re-programmed.Just more of that tolerance shinning through.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 11:33 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Wow, that doesn't seem right. I would think she would have trouble fining a job with that attitude, though.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 11:58 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I think it is more than ridiculous! I see a fat check AND a degree coming her way.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 12:08 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

Cause God knows Libs have the inside on knowledge.

When the APA, years ago, still listed homosexuality as a neurosis, were THEY homophobes?

And THE DAY AFTER they decided to go ahead and be politically correct and change it, were they no longer homophobes?

All sounds very politically expedient to me.

All these dumbass homophobes.

They need to get themselves to the nearest university quick as they can.
    They need to be taught how to think.

All those psychiatrists needed to be sent for sensitivity training, the nexxt day.

Libs.

It is soooooooooooooo hard for them to think straight, to see past all their own bullshit................................

Gee.
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 4:51 PM on Jul. 27, 2010