How to deal with a child who has ADHD?

Tima07

Asked by Tima07 at 11:23 AM on Jul. 27, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Get him/her evaluated, and I mean a good real evaluation. Two doctors and two teachers and then if its needed USE VYVANSE!! They can stop taking it when ever you want them to.
    PTBAAMom

Answer by PTBAAMom at 11:24 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• What exactly is vyvanse? I will be getting him evaluted by a doctor in August. Its very overwelming to me. I am basically a teenage single mom and am trying to deal with it on my own.
    Tima07

Comment by Tima07 (original poster) at 11:31 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Vyvanse is a really good ADHD medication but if at all possibe call around to find a child therapist. In most cases therapy sessions will teach you and your child how to deal with this. I wish you and you child well on this journey.
    ocielee

Answer by ocielee at 12:11 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Thanks so much for the advice. I really appreciate it.
    Tima07

Comment by Tima07 (original poster) at 12:15 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Structure & routine are HUGE when it comes to dealing with ADHD. Being able to predict/know what will happen next helps a lot. If you follow the same routine every day then you always know what's coming. Another thing is diet and water..... especially water. The brain is something like 80% water. Even mild dehydration can affect its functioning... especially in someone with ADHD. Other things are being sure that he gets enough sleep. Also, some studies have shown that dairy may worsen ADHD symptoms in some people. As for meds, I'm not a fan. Sometimes they are necessary but it can take a lot of trial and error to find the right med and the right dose of it. Gonna stop there as I have more info in my head than I can get out at once. My biggest suggestion would be to educate yourself on ADHD and all it's in's an outs. That alone will be a huge help to your son if he does have it. Good Luck.
    Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 12:21 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• dont drug your kids who have ADHD! do some research TRUST me over medicating your child is a scary thing!! ADHD can be controlled by the diet you have your child on..there are checmicals in foods that trigger there ADHD you o it to yourself and child to find out please please please just google what kind of diet should a child with ADHD should be on.. for examples red food dye is awful for your kids. check it out on webmd.com just please dont jump straight to drugs.. if you really do your research you will see the reason why natural treat is better then drug! and be careful with your doctor some doctors puch drugs and shots for a buck because that is where all the money comes from in the medical feild shots and meds, just be careful...
    SammiGirl07

Answer by SammiGirl07 at 1:24 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Sammi, a child with ADHD does need some medication. It is a true medical condition and there are some decent meds out there. The best treatment for ADHD is a good medication and behavioral therapy. Unless you are going into the mental health field you really shouldn't be handing out info on a mental health condition. I am not trying to be mean, just speaking the truth.

Tima, in my research for my counseling for children class I learned a lot about ADHD and other behavioral disorders. Children with ADHD have a smaller frontal lobes as well as other areas of the brain that have to do with processing emotions and control over impulses and the need to move. Definitely get him evaluated and know that this is a true medical condition and nothing to be ashamed of. And please get the counseling for you and him if he is diagnosed. It will help more than you know!
    psych_mom

Answer by psych_mom at 1:35 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• psych mom, i know for a fact that you do not need to ALWAYS medicate a adhd child.. when i was younger and my cousin and myfriend daughter and many more.. all of these kids had ADHD and none of them are on meds.. and are doing just find.. by having a good diet, im not giving out medical advice my deer.. im just stating my personal experience and saying in america we dont always have to jump to meds.. and before we medicate out child we should look at more natural options...
    SammiGirl07

Answer by SammiGirl07 at 1:25 AM on Aug. 13, 2010