What are some ways i can disipline my 5 year old

Tima07

Asked by Tima07 at 11:24 AM on Jul. 27, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• A "time-out" chair... that takes them away from the TV and their toys... or a spanking, if necessary, and if you believe in it.
    genabella

Answer by genabella at 11:25 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I will try more of the time-out chair, spanking doesn't get me anywhere.
    Tima07

Comment by Tima07 (original poster) at 11:28 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I think time outs are good.
    candydave

Answer by candydave at 11:37 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Ok! So how long would you recommmend for a five year old.
    Tima07

Comment by Tima07 (original poster) at 11:47 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• 1 minute for every year. so a five year old would be 5 minutes with out getting up. everytime they get up start over.
    northcarolinama

Answer by northcarolinama at 2:16 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Time outs can be good. So can loss of privileges (ex: no tv time, no trip to the pool today, no phone call to grandma, no dessert, etc)
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 2:33 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I have tried the no tv and toys thing and it actually works for that particular night. I want to do something that will stick for a while.
    Tima07

Comment by Tima07 (original poster) at 3:04 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• There are some good books out there that can help with discipline. Dr Phil's is supposedly great. Find your child's "currency", that thing or activity which is most important to him, and withhold that as punishment.

Time out can be effective too. Make the length of time appropriate for his age and be consistent. Do not talk to him if you have to take him back to the time out spot. People give up on time out because the child has to be returned to the spot. It can take a long time before he stays there. Whatever method you pick do it every time and stay consistent and stay calm.

Make sure he also is getting enough one on one time with you and hubby. That he is getting praise for the things he does right. And lots of hugs and kisses.
    Anonymous

• The only thing that will "stick for a while" is to continually use the same method. If losing a privilege works "for that night", then do it every time the child misbehaves. That's what will make it stick. It takes a lot of time and effort, and you have to be consistent - there is no magic bullet.
    Gaccck

Answer by Gaccck at 3:35 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I thanks you for the advice.
    Tima07

Comment by Tima07 (original poster) at 4:07 PM on Jul. 27, 2010