SO of the teens & sex question...

I firmly believe our religious beliefs tend to tie in to how we see things like sex and relationships... So, my questions are...

1. How do you label yourself religiously?
2. How do you feel about sex & relationships?
3. How do you feel about teen sex & relationships?
4. Do you find that you are more conservative or more liberal, and do you think your religious beliefs encourage these feelings about sex?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 11:40 AM on Jul. 27, 2010 in Religious Debate

• 1--I'm not religious at all
    2--I believe that there isn't any problems with sex and relationships.. when the time is right, the time is right.
    3--I wouldn't want my teen to have sex, but I mean there isn't really anything that will seriously stop them besides tying them up inside. So you might as well talk to them about it & make it as safe as possible.
    4--I think I am more liberal & my religion obviously has nothing to do with it.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 11:44 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I am Christian. I believe sex is meant for marriage only. However, I do not condemn those who have sex before marraige. I my self became pregnant before I was married. I think my religion is directly tied to my feelings about sex and relationships. As a parent, I would never allow my teen to be in a position where I thought he/she could have sex. We have a strict rule in our home, we don't spend the night with friends. My kids will always be chaparoned and will not date until at least 16. Even then, it will be chaparoned. Don't get me wrong, I am no prude. I think sex can be just as wonderful and freaky as you like it...with your spouse.
    momof3josephs

Answer by momof3josephs at 11:46 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I am a born again follower of the Lord Jesus Christ.
    I believe that sex is for marriage only.
    I am conservative in that I believe in the teachings of the Bible, and yes, that greatly influences my beliefs about sex and marriage.

May I also add that my husband and I reared 3 children to adulthood with the above belief system intact, and it has been a blessing to each of them and to us as their parents. While we made many mistakes along the way, all the time doing our best, God has more than adequately covered everything that we did wrong. All praise be unto Him!!!!!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 11:48 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• For me, I'm Pagan... I believe that sex is fun and meant to me enjoyable. I have no issues with sex or sexuality of any kind, assuming that it is not harmful to either side of the relationship (children, animals, rape, etc...). I see nothing wrong with teens having sex nor do I try to ignore that it will happen. I prefer to have an educated child with many options having sex because THEY make the choice to over a child who feels obligated to live up to someone elses expectations of their sex life (be it friends or family). I feel my religious beliefs DO support my beliefs about sex & sexuality, but to me it's also about common sense. My beliefs don't force me in to a narrow view of morality or what sexuality should be, and they allow me to see things in a more natural and liberal way.

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 11:48 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• 1. Christian
    2. I think if a person is mature enough and ready then there is no problem with having sex and being in a relationship
    3. I don't agree with it for the simple fact that some teens may no protect themselves and may be put in a bad situation with pregnancy. Now with the relationship, I think it is ok to be in a relatiionship as a teen.
    4. I am more liberal, my religious beliefs has nothing to do with it.
    Tima07

Answer by Tima07 at 11:55 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Atheist (though raised in a fundamentalist christian home, was homeschooled, and always supervised- yet managed to become a teen mom.)

Sex is a normal, healthy part of life. It is not something to be put on a pedestal, it is not sacred. It's an expression of affection, of need, of trust, of many things.
    Sex is not of any more or less worth when it takes place within the confines of marriage- which, is a concept that we are continuing to evolve out of the need for.

I do not necessarily condone early sexual encounters- It *can* be a damaging experience, and carries much risk if one or both parties are misinformed, or under educated, or unprepared. I am also a realist. I function under no delusional ideals of abstinence- nor do I believe it is wise to have only one partner in your life time.

My SO and I have a rather unconventional relationship, which has proven to be the healthiest we could have imagined.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:59 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• 1- Atheist
    2-Sex is not a determining factor for a relationship. The relationship should be built first and if sex follows then sex follows. One would hope you engage in it in a responsible and educated fashion.
    3- Most teens are not mature enough to engage in sexual relationships however teens don't listen so it is best to have an EDUCATED teen that understands the importance of protection and birth control and the consequences that can result from engaging in sexual activities. I find that the more educated a teen is and the more self-esteem they have, the less likely they are to engage in reckless behaviors.
    4- Conservative on some things, Liberal on others, Most other people would classify me as a liberal though. I don't believe my religion(or lack thereof) has anything to do with my views.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:02 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• 1. i'm not religious..just a xtian who strives to be the best person i can, and try not to be a stumbling block to anyone.
    2. sex is great, within a committed, trusted relationship. its fun, healthy, sweaty, sweet, fast, slow, frustrating, all of the above and more.
    3. i don't think teens realize the importance of consequences (emotional) of having sex, unrestrained or too early. i totally support birth control for BOTH sexes.
    4. more conservative politcally/fiscally, less so when it comes to sexual relationships. i mean, i can't say i'm conservative when it comes to sex...no, i'm no angel, i'm no stranger to the dark. (gotta love gregg allman!)
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 12:06 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• 1. I don't. The closest labels are deist or pagan.
    2. Sex is meant to be enjoyable. As long as you are safe I see no issue with it.
    3. Teens in general...same as above. My children as teens...I want them to only have sex if they love the person. I am going to teach them to wait for love, not marriage.
    4. Liberal and probably yes.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 12:16 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• 1. Proud member of the LDS church\
    2. That sex is a apart of marriage and is something that your share with someone you love
    3. I feel that teens shouldn't be having sex because most teens aren't emotionally, physically ready for that type of relationship. That teens should be educated about sex and that parents need to start steping up the the plate and be a parent and not a friend.
    4. I don't feel my religion has affected my belief on sex. I just had friends who had sex got pregnant regretted it. Being in foster care I heard horror stories of kids having sex because there mom say it is enjoyable and they would have sex ten years older then them and the parents seen no problem with that.
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 12:36 PM on Jul. 27, 2010