Did Obama really skip 45% of the Senate votes since he's been in office?

This claim is in an ad that's airing where I live - no, it's not a McCain ad, it's an ad supporting some Bill currently in the Senate. I have searched online but can find no sites supporting it or refuting it.

IF this is true, does this mean I could go to work 4 days out of 10 and still expect a raise and promotion?

Silliness aside, I've tried and came up empty. Can anyone else find a site that proves this claim right or wrong? I'd like to check it out.

kaycee14

Asked by kaycee14 at 11:25 PM on Oct. 2, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• no i'll get you the site in a second. he actually voted present little over 3%. some just like to stretch the truth.
    ny.chica

Answer by ny.chica at 11:30 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• Here you go: it doesn't say what the % is but if you look over it there are TONS of "Not Voting" http://projects.washingtonpost.com/congress/members/o000167/votes/page1/

SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 11:30 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• if you compare how long he has been in office, with how long he has been campaining, the votes that he missed were in the last year or so... same thing with mccain.. except it doesnt look as bad because he has been around for so long. i dont know exact numbers but theres the website everyones been looking (cant remember the name right now) at to see who voted for what, and that tells you the attendance.
    terra6211

Answer by terra6211 at 11:31 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• Here this is better: http://projects.washingtonpost.com/congress/110/senate/vote-missers/

Miss Votes:

McCain: 64.1%
    Obama: 46.3%

SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 11:39 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• It is very easy to search and find out how often he voted present as an Illinois senator and a US Senator---yes, he voted present quite often in both. In fact some sites will tell you several of the bills he voted present on--bills he should have had enough experience to make a yes or no decision.  I am not starting anything--just look it up--it is pretty easy to find.

Ronnie80

Answer by Ronnie80 at 11:40 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• Thank you ladies. I went to the site SAHMinIL suggested and downloaded Obama's complete voting record for his 3 years on office. I agree, the vast majority of the "Not Voting's" are since June of 2007.

I already knew he voted "Present" as an Illinois Senator far more than he should have. I don't believe the US Senate allows that but I'm not certain. Frankly I don't think any state's should allow it either. We don't elect these bozos to have "no opinion" or to squirm out of taking a stand on hard issues.

I'll have to download McCain's voting record tomorrow and see how he fairs. The second link from SAHMinIL didn't go through.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:17 AM on Oct. 3, 2008