what time should bedtime before for a 2year old?

i'm currently a little over 7 months pregnant and my 2 year old has no specific bedtime. my husband is in the navy and works night shift and hes the enforcer in the relationship so when hes not here i let her fall asleep whenever she wants because with me being pregnant its more convenient than to hear her whine. SO starting today i'm going to try and start a schedule for her. what time is an appropriate time for a 2 year old to be put down to bed and is ok for her to have the t.v during bedtime if she cant sleep?

newmommyjazz

Asked by newmommyjazz at 11:49 AM on Jul. 27, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Great idea!!! : D

You will see after you create the bedtime and it becomes a consistent nightly ordeal, that you have found ultimate convenience! :D
    After my DH and I did it with our son we were amazed and thought why the hey did we not do this sooner.

My son is 4 years old. Since he was 2 1/2 or 3 he's been going to bed at 8pm or starts getting the routine underway at that time every night.

Be sure to turn it into a routine, not just a quick put you in bed walk away ordeal... that'll be harder with the whining and such.

Ours is: brush your teeth, wash your face, put on your pj's. Then I do a story. I let my son pick out the story. I also include a cup of night night milk.

I've read that routines help them know what to expect at night. So far it's worked wonders for us. Now we're at a point where our son gets ready for bed alone. we come cover him a story and walk out. No tears. :D

Good luck
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 12:00 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• eight or nine.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:49 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• 8:30pm that is for both my boys
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 11:53 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• It depends on what your schedule is and how early you get up and get going in the morning. 8pm seems like a reasonable time.
    I have never let my kids have a tv in their rooms because it does distract from actually sleeping.
    jayneplayne

Answer by jayneplayne at 11:54 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I'd say 8 or 9 would be good, especially if she still naps a decent amount everyday. If she doesn't nap then 7 or 8 might be more appropriate. I wouldn't allow tv at bedtime, but maybe a humidifier or other white noise might be helpful. Give her a song and/or a story to signal bedtime.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 11:55 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I put my son down at 9 and he is usually VERY sleepy by that time...he gets up at 8 or 8:30 though so you might vary it if you want to sleep later or get up earlier.
    shortleo

Answer by shortleo at 11:58 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• My 2yr old daughter usually goes to sleep at 8:30pm, it's a pretty good time, she wakes up between 7:30 to 8:30 so it's a pretty good amount of sleep. She has always been a good sleeper though, she practically set her own schedule. I think if you watch her carefully you can see around what time is best for her, also having her us alot of her energy during the day helps too. Good Luck
    sheli2007

Answer by sheli2007 at 12:03 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• We don't have set bed times. I think it's more important that the kids get the sleep they need. If you need to be up early then they would need an earlier bed time. Our kids don't have any reason to get up, so they stay up to 10 or 11 every night... Then sleep til 10 or 11 in the morning. But for us, when daddy didn't used to get home til 8 or so every night, an 8:30 bed time would have just been cruel.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:08 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Letting her fall asleep when she is tired is perfectly fine. There is no need for bedtimes and schedules. My kids were night owls and didn't go to bed until 10 or 11. I loved it because they slept later and I had the morning to do things I wanted to do. If you let her stay up late you will be able to have time alone for that long first morning nursing after the baby is born.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:09 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• What time does she fall asleep? Starting at the time, count backwards for however long a bath, a story and a snuggle takes, and start the pj/toothbrushing stuff at that time. In order to be able to sleep, humans need to feel safe and calm.

Do not attempt to 'make' her go to sleep at some earlier time, because not only is that impossible and irrational, it's how young children develop sleep disorders. I promise you, you do not want to get into a war over sleep. You will not win. You can't win.

It is ordinary for parents to claim their kids sleep better than they do, and for people to sleep through the noises and activity of their awake, and sometimes extremely distressed, children. It is, in recorded (rather than parent-reported) sleep studies, normal for kids to sleep erratically until they're about 4.

Sleep and periods of rest during the day can help kids sleep better at night. She will not sleep longer, just easier.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 12:49 PM on Jul. 27, 2010