At what age will you allow your child to have a girlfriend/boyfriend? It they are already grown up, at what age were they allowed to date?

SuperrMommyy

Asked by SuperrMommyy at 11:52 AM on Jul. 27, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Until HS they may only go out within a group or when parents are present. But once they start HS they can date one on one if they choose to.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:14 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• 16 and depends on them. I didn't date until I was 18
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 11:54 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I don't think I'll have a specific age, I have to see what's appropriate for my son as he grows up. I know I had my first boyfriend in 8th grade....
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 11:56 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I'm thinking maybe 16.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 11:56 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I was 16 and that seems pretty good to me......(depends on trustworthiness and maturity)
    hotrodmomma

Answer by hotrodmomma at 11:58 AM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I have 3 sons and they are now 22, 27, and 30. The youngest any of them started dating was 16.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:02 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• It will depend on how mature they are...right now I say 16, but if they are not showing me at 16 that they are ready, then 18. But not before 16. I was 16 when I was allowed to date.
    fallnangel93

Answer by fallnangel93 at 12:03 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I'm a firm believer in waiting as long as possible for the opposite sex to get comfortable with one another. I feel the younger they are being comfortable around the opposite sex, the younger they will start "exploring". I don't mind the "going together" in 5th -6th grade, but in name only, if that makes sense. I had lots of "boyfriends" at that age, but we never said two words to each other, it was a more of a "I like you and you like me" kind of situation. As far as actual dating, 16 would be an appropriate age, but with much supervision.

shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 12:08 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• my daughter gas had bf for years but when she can leave the house with one will depend on how much we can trust her and how mature she is. group dates are good to start around 11 or 12.
    puresouthern

Answer by puresouthern at 12:08 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• In our home, no dating before 16. They can have friends of the other gender, but no dates. And then while in high school they have to group date (doubles okay too if they are mature enough). My belief is that one should only date steadily when one is preparing to find a suitable spouse, not just someone to go to the movies with. There is no reason that high schoolers should be single dating. Their focus should be on school and preparing themselves for their future.
    jwaren

Answer by jwaren at 12:10 PM on Jul. 27, 2010