How can I stop a ten year old from wetting the bed?

I've tried no drinks after 6pm, nightlight in room, bathroom light on all night and even tried waking her up every two hours to go to the bathroom! She says she can't feel herself wetting the bed at all. Nothing seems to help, can you??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:01 PM on Jul. 27, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Maybe she has a bladder infection or something.. You might want to take her to the dr.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 12:03 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Kegals. She needs to see a urologist. Why haven't you taken her to the doctor? She should have seen a doctor years ago.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:04 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I am afraid we may have this problem soon enough... my 5 year old floods every-night with us trying the same things as you.... our doctor said she just has to grow out of it (after they checked out everything health wise) GL!
    hotrodmomma

Answer by hotrodmomma at 12:04 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• There is an issue there, take her to the doctor. Good luck, that has to be rough.
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 12:04 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I would say ask your dr. she might have a medical problem. I used to watch a girl that had a problem and ended up having surgery before she was able to be dry all night. Take her to a dr. that works with that problem they can run tests to see why she is still wetting the bed.
    SassyDee01963

Answer by SassyDee01963 at 12:05 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Take her to the doctor for a check up, it could be a bladder issue.

If you tried everything else.

Usually, not drinking after a certain time and going pee before you go to bed works.

Good luck!!!
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 12:05 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Have you talked to her doc about it? You need to first rule out medical reasons. Some kids don't gain the maturity to have night control for several years after we expect them to. Sometimes it is hereditary too. Check family history... most people don't talk about it, but it helps to know.

My first son wet the bed until 11. (he got the double whammy) My husband's brother wet the bed til 13, I wet the bed til 12. My daughter is almost 7 and she is trying so hard to stay dry at night. She is actually having success 5 out of 7 nights now! She can go 2 weeks, but the back slides. If she is exhausted, it is worse. Try to help her get plenty of rest with a consistent schedule, not getting to the point of crashing from exhaustion.

My 2nd and 4th sons started staying dry at 4 yrs old. Thank Goodness!
    Annette4

Answer by Annette4 at 12:13 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• there is things you can try! For my oldest son he wets the bed if he eats dairy(I was the same way as a kid). And for my 4 1/2yr old he wets the bed for 6 days straight after eating any bread containing preservatives. Here is a link that talks about it http://www.goodnites.com/na/Bedwetting-Support/Articles/eating-and-enuresis-how-foods-affect-bedwetting.aspx

Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 12:13 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Kegals are not all they are cracked up to be. Here is a link that talks about new research on that front. They can cause more damage than good. http://www.goodnites.com/na/Bedwetting-Support/Articles/eating-and-enuresis-how-foods-affect-bedwetting.aspx

Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 12:22 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• If you wet the bed, there are some things you can do to stay dry. Try not to drink anything after dinner and remember to go to the bathroom before going to bed. If you do wet the bed, help with the cleanup by pulling off the sheets and putting them in the laundry.

A lot of doctors think that the best treatment for enuresis is a program that retrains your brain to do one of two things:

1.wake you up so you can go to the bathroom
    2.stay asleep and hold it until morning
    This program includes doing bladder exercises, such as waiting a little longer to pee during the day, reading about and imagining staying dry, or even using a tiny alarm. The alarm is connected to a pad placed in your underwear at night. If you start to urinate, the pad senses the moisture and sets off the alarm. Different alarms buzz, vibrate, or do both, but they're all easy to use and can help wake even the deepest sleeper.

heather berkowitz
    www.cla
    ClassicNannies

Answer by ClassicNannies at 12:28 PM on Jul. 27, 2010