how to get my toddler to be easy with new baby on the way?

i have a 19mt old and i have tried to tell him theres a baby im their which he calls it baby, but when he gets mad that he cant climb on me he tries to hit me right in the belly. im just really worried he will try to hurt the baby when it gets here, in 5 weeks. any advice on how to include him or get him to understand he can hurt the baby?

mrsaustin271

Asked by mrsaustin271 at 12:14 PM on Jul. 27, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Lots of continual training! Even now, you can have him tell your stomach good night and give the 'baby' a kiss at bedtime. Have him cuddle up to the 'baby' when you read him stories. Talk about how much the baby likes having him close.

I never liked to discourage my kids from touching, loving, helping with the new baby. That is ALL behavior you want to encourage. But, he is little and he will be too rough! Remember babies can take a lot more than we think (they fall off the bed and are just fine). Everytime your son is with the new baby remind him to be gentle, show him what 'gentle' looks like. Offer to let him hold the baby - but keep a close eye. When my kids were done holding the baby they would just push him/her out of their arms. Remind him to tell you when he is "all done."
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 12:23 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• He's not mad at the baby persay, but because there's a baby that he can't climb on you like he could before. Try to keep the home situation and what you two have done before as similar as possible. Talk about the baby like it's a good thing. Have him help you put away the baby's clothe, and other items for the baby. So that he feels like the coming baby is a good thing. Help him draw a picture for the baby and maybe make up songs to sing to the baby. Things that will get him involved. The more he feels that he is involved, you're still there for him and still love him, the easier it will be for him to adjust. When the baby comes ALWAYS make sure that you and him (Dad and him too if he's around) take time out of everyday to give him one on one time as well.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:21 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• A TEDDY TO TRAIN HIM...

A BOY DOLL-DIEAGO, OR BORROW A FRIENDS.

Let him practice, and show him baby stuff. I have 3 girls and 1 boy. He is rough and we are teaching him to be gentle, he does not realize his own strenght... He has been like that for years, but he is getting it..
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 12:18 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Use a baby doll and show your kiddo about how you (and your child) will be taking care of the new baby.
    SillyBrandi

Answer by SillyBrandi at 12:19 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Talk about it and keep talking about it. And remember it takes time. 18 months later when my 3rd was born, the first born was SO gentle. And my second born has been so careful with our new baby (the 4th). Relax, encourage his desire to help and play, and keep a close eye.

You will LOVE it when the baby starts sitting up around 6 months and the two kids start playing together and interacting even more!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 12:24 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• IMO your son is too young to understand that there is a baby in your belly, but he is old enough to start learning that rough-housing is not always ok (or is not ok with certain people, like mama or grandma.) Just be consistent and give lots of positive reinforcement for good behavior...my son is the very same age, and already understands how to be gentle with our pets. He has slip-ups every now and then (at this age their self-control is pretty limited), but he gets it because we always, from the very beginning, made a very big deal about how to properly handle the pets. The other posters had good advice too. Good luck and congrats!!
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 5:48 PM on Jul. 27, 2010