College tuition?

Do you think you should only have children if you can afford to pay for their schooling? Or is it okay to have children, save what you can to help them, but then expect them to get a student loan if they want to goto college?
I have tons of friends who got student loans, I actually don't know anyone who had their full tuition paid for by their parents.
What do you think?

BambiF

Asked by BambiF at 12:24 PM on Jul. 27, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I don't think that just because you aren't rich that you shouldn't have children.. There can always be something worked out to help them go to college.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 12:27 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• College is ridiculously expensive, most I would assume, need some sort of assistance. We plan on paying for what we can and then it is student loans from there.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 12:29 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• My husband and I feel that it is our responsibility to pay for our children to attend college. Neither of our parents paid for our college education and our student loans are the only debt we have now. We will be paying them back for a long time. We don't want our kids to start out in debt.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 12:32 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• i was watching the suzie orman show the other day and she said there was a pre paid college tuition. and you can look it up.. sounds like a good deal to me... but i am in college now and my parents havnt helped me... hell they didnt help me when i was going to a homeschool program it was 50 dollars a book....so i paid 600 dollars for my high school diploma and i am now paying 8 thousand dollars for my college class this term.... so i will be in debt for a while... but i think parents should help as much as they can...
    firstimemomm603

Answer by firstimemomm603 at 12:42 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• All my kids got govt grants or scholarships.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:43 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• We'll help our kids whatever way we can but we won't be paying their tuitions.  They'll have to get scholarships, grants and loans for that.  IF they want to go to college.  I watched my dad go into bankruptcy trying to pay for me and my brother to go to college.  He felt it was his job as the parent and it ruined him.  He's still paying for stuff from back then.  I got loans after my first semester and they have since been paid off but I purposefully picked a school that was affordable.  Even with out of state tuition and room and board it was only like $9000 for the year.  Whereas my brother picked his favorite school and it was $20k for his first year.  He only went 1 year and will be paying off his loans for the rest of his life it seems.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:20 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• We each paid for our own education, and have paid and are paying for our kids' undergrad education. We only had the # we could afford to raise and educate through BS degrees( 2). Our daughter has a MA degree-that one was on her-
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 3:26 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• My tuition was paid in full by my dad. I won't be able to afford that luxury for my own kids, for DH and I will never bring home what my dad brought home income wise. We will help them as best we can. I see nothing wrong with student loans.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 4:36 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• My son college education will pd in full. We established a college fund the day we started trying for a baby. I do not want him in debt after college. Plus, grad school requires loans no grants. Many grants are income based and I know we will not qualify for those. We will strive for scholarships but at least he has a college fund to fall back on.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 7:09 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• My decision to have a baby did not hinge on paying for their college education. That's not why I wanted children. However, DH & I will help in any way we can, but we will not be paying for their college tuition in full. I will encourage my children to do well in school & apply for grants & scholarships. I'm still paying on my student loan 7 years later, & while I hate the thought of my kids in debt, it's a perfect teaching opportunity for me. I can teach them about doing well in school so they get a free ride. Or getting a part time job in high school and/or college if they want to go to a certain school (like private or out of state). It's all about teaching them to work for what they want rather than have it handed to them. Now like I said, we will help them. As soon as my loan and DH's car is paid off next year, we will start 529s for both of our kids. But I'm not planning to have 100% of 4 years tuition set aside
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 9:11 PM on Jul. 27, 2010