im a single mama does that affect ur child in a bad way?

I don't talk to the father so he isn't in the picture. Has anyone one been in this situation? I love my son but we are been off without.

Doms_mama09

Asked by Doms_mama09 at 12:24 PM on Jul. 27, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• There are so many different kinds of families out there. Do the best you can do for that child and he will grow up just fine.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 12:26 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• NO omg,

Trust me one good parent is better then no parents or two fighting parents.

Or being with parents who fight all the time, or argue all the time. You can do it... Just be sure if you plan on having another child you find the love of your life... Good luck!!!
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 12:28 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• you being a single momma does not effect my child in anyway. Now, if you meant, will it effect your own child.....HELL NO

you could not be a single momma and totally f up you child with verbal, physical, sexual abuse. ignore him/her or pawn them off on anyone you can find. The type of parent you are, and how you raise and relate to your child has nothing to do with whether you are a single momma or not. It has to do with the type of person you are.

If anything, doing it on your own, will show your child a great example of a strong, independent, competent woman, who does not NEED to depend on a man to be happy.
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 12:29 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• i dont think it will affect him, as long as you love him unconditionally... its going to be hard but you can do it!
    Mrs.Koukas2006

Answer by Mrs.Koukas2006 at 12:31 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I've been a single mom of a developmentally disabled child for over eighteen years. My experience is, yes, it did affect him in a bad way. But ANYTHING negative can affect your baby in a bad way! As others have said, fighting parents who hate each other are a very bad situation for children.

So my two cents' worth is, know what you've gotten yourself into, and just be prepared to have the best attitude possible, and DON'T GET DRAGGED DOWN BY GUILT and let your child use their fatherless situation to manipulate you (which they may try to do when they're older). Also, don't let other people make you feel bad about your situation! Some of the best moms in history were unmarried moms! Love your baby, accept help from people who love your little family, and hold your head up high!
    gilda_ann

Answer by gilda_ann at 12:34 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• My husband and I separated when I was pregnant with my 3rd son. They are adults now. He never met his father. My 2 oldest sons had the typical relationship with their father for the times - every other weekend. I decided to not date, it's been 22 years. It's been easier with my son that had no contact with his father and we have a closer relationship. My sons that had a relationship with their father somehow seemed to get mostly negative influences from him.

There are many advantages to being a single mother but you have to learn how to be an effective parent because they are going to be bigger than you by the time they are 10 or 12. The authoritative parenting style is most effective. Punishment and authoratarian parenting isn't going to work as a single parent. It's best to start out right.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:37 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I am a single mom of two and their father isn't in the picture. It hasn't affected my kids. They are happy and that is all that matters.
    alaskansglmom

Answer by alaskansglmom at 12:38 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Just be a strong role model for the child...
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 1:09 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Thank you for yours, it means a lot To me.. I started feeling bad for being a single parent. But my son is loved by his father and his needs and wants come first
    Doms_mama09

Comment by Doms_mama09 (original poster) at 11:33 PM on Jul. 27, 2010