What size microwave is best for a family of 6?

I had a 2 cubic feet microwave for the last seven years. It was very large inside (plus) and very large outside (minus). I need to buy a new microwave and the prices have went up considerably since i purchased that one 7 years ago. Is a 1 cubic foot oven too small? I mostly use it for baked potatoes and popcorn. But occasionally I would like to be able to fit a small casserole in the microwave. Can anybody recommend a nice one that doesn't cost too much?

aziza4

Asked by aziza4 at 12:33 PM on Jul. 27, 2010 in Shopping

• I have to have one to warm up tall baby bottles, big glass bowls for yogurt making, pre warming meat for the bbq~space is a good thing with a microwave in my world. the one I am eyeing has a door like an oven~not sure I would like that...but it matches all my other pieces (the 5 year upgrade).
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 12:37 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• We use one that is 2 cubic feet, but it is installed above the stove and doesn't take-up too much space.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 12:38 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Sanyo makes a 1.4 cu. ft. microwave that runs around $100-120
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 12:38 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• We spent $80 on a microwave at Kmart and it has never worked right. It goes out after you use it for more than like 7 minutes then you have to let it cool down before it comes back on. Its a pain. So keep the box and receipt! lol
    amy_rebecca

Answer by amy_rebecca at 3:02 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Here are some tips in looking for a microwave according to the requirements for your household.  Once you find out what those are then the shopping begins on the best for your bucks.  GL

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 5:56 PM on Jul. 29, 2010