My 1 year old will not eat ANY fruit... She was fine with baby food but will not eat fruit.

I have twins. One loves fruit, the other gags when she eats it. My 5 year old does the same thing. It is ALL types of fruit. If I mix it with other food to hide it, she'll spit out the fruit and eat the "regular" food. I'm concerned this is going to be a long life problem. Does anyone else have this issue????

BethB311

Asked by BethB311 at 12:37 PM on Jul. 27, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• Mash it up and make it like baby food

Answer by admckenzie at 12:38 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• i had the problem with veggies but i gave him a vitamin every day and now he loves them i would still put them on his plate and slowly he would eat them
    shannonsmom555

Answer by shannonsmom555 at 12:39 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Will she drink smoothies?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 12:40 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I was the same way as a kid~It was the texture for me and too tart. I do smoothie and like my fruit perfect to the season. no that I love the sugar idea...but what would they do with cut up strawberries with a little powdered sugar make them juicy and sweet if tart?
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 12:41 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Wierd.

Your kids may have tactile sensitivity issues. It can cause eating problems with food textures but it would be to more foods than just fruits. If they do have tactile sensitivity issues it can be treated with occupational therapy. It won't be cured but she will be able to eat more foods.

My son has tactile sensitivity and wouldn't eat any foods. I knew something was wrong but the doctors wouln't listen to me because he was gaining ok on only breastmilk until he was 12 mo. Then he became FTT. It took awhile to get the right diagnosis but once he got the right therapy the change was huge. He is 22 now and won't eat some foods and doesn't drink pop.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:45 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I've tried mashing it, mixing it, hiding it.. My 5 year old did/does the same thing. I thought he did it because I left him on baby food to long. Now that my daughter does it, I know it's another type of issue... My other 2 kids are fine and LOVE fruit! Today I made a Peanut butter sandwich, Mashed up a little banana and spread it like jelly. WOULD NOT EAT IT! I try stuff like this all the time. It doesn't work. I will try a smoothie tomorrow. Everyday is a struggle with my 5 year old to eat fruit. He hates every single bite. If he takes to big of a bite he throws up at the table..... My pediatrician just tells me to keep trying......
    BethB311

Comment by BethB311 (original poster) at 12:48 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• THANKS! What type of doctor handles Tactile sensitivity......
    BethB311

Comment by BethB311 (original poster) at 12:49 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• The American Academy of Pediatrics says kids are only supposed to have 4 oz of juice a day. If your child isn't overweight I would think it would be ok to give her more if she will drink it. You might try some of the fruit and veggie mixed juices. I have a 22 mo grandson that has a genetic disease and he is underweight and we are supposed to give him juice. I get some carrot juice mixed with fruit juice at a health fodd type grocery store that he likes.

Some kids won't eat veggies. Fruits and veggies have some of the same vitamins. If you can get them to eat at least a variety of one that may be the best you can do. Try unusual things you don't eat. My grandson loves tomatoes and that's actually a fruit. We take him to buffets and give him new stuff to try.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:55 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• His regular primary care provider may refer her to be evaluated by an occupational therapist or other developmental specialist to be evaluated or maybe a developmental clinic or doctor if there is a children's hospital nearby. My son was already a patient at a children's hopital for other issues so he went to a developmental clinic but I don't think it's always necessary.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:59 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Oops I said his instead of hers. I have 3 sons and a grandson and I slip and think all kids are male. I don't think you need to force your kids to eat fruit. Have them take vitamins. You might try the more expensive popscicles make with real juice or fruit. They at least have vitamin C. My grandson loves popscicles!

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:05 PM on Jul. 27, 2010