At what age should you start tummy time?

My son in one week old. Is he too young to start tummy time? When we lay him on his tummy, he just lays there and doesnt try to lift his head at all. Is it too early to do any good?

virginiabelle

Asked by virginiabelle at 12:42 PM on Jul. 27, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• As soon as he can hold his head up.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 12:42 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• 4-6 wks

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 12:43 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I put mine on their tummies for a little while each day from the time they came home from the hospital. I think it's just a matter of personal preference.
    ambersmommy730

Answer by ambersmommy730 at 12:45 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Start early. Place your newborn belly-down on your chest or across your lap for a few minutes so he gets accustomed to the position. Just don't do it right after a feeding; pressure on his full abdomen may cause him to spit

Introduce your baby to tummy time around the 3- to 4-month mark. At this point, she has better neck strength and control, so she's able to lift and turn her head while lying down. Start by placing her on a blanket on the floor and giving her several five- to ten-minute sessions each day.

Think comfort. Lay your little one down on a flat, clean surface, such as a blanket or play mat on the floor. If she squirms or cries, try some extra padding. Roll up a small receiving blanket and tuck it under her chest.
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 12:48 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Sorry mixing up the his and hers... I just had a little girl so I say her a lot... :O
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 12:49 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I alwasy gave my baby tummy time from day one. That was usually on my chest. Also wearing your baby upright in a sling/wrap is also considered "tummy time" because they have to work their muscles and they also breathe better and you avoid too much time in baby containers and on the back that can result in a flat spot on the head. Once there was pretty good head control I followed the baby's lead with belly time on the floor--that might mean only a few seconds.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:51 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I would suggest doing it now- I waited awhile, and my son would SCREAM when I put him on the floor, my sister started the week she brought him home and he loves it, and never cried, because he was used to it. being on the floor is never a bad idea, and tehre is never a bad time to do it, its a good way to interact with baby, I suggest getting a baby play mat, and getting down there and doing it for 10 minutes 3 times a day, which is what my pedi told me to do. :) good luck and CONGRATS!
    JnCV

Answer by JnCV at 12:53 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• also- I started around 3 months, and because he was so used to being held or rocked he DID NOT LIKE IT- it took WEEEKSS to get him used to it because I started so late. as I said, my sister started the day she brought him home, and within weeks he was lifting his head on his own from practice so much, ur doing good mama, keep up with it, and avoid the head aches I got later.
    JnCV

Answer by JnCV at 12:55 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• pretty soon, just to get a feel for his tummy, the stretch in his neck and shoulders at first..but they can feel stuck and start to protest. I really like kids starting on their backs and learning to look, lean and roll over to their tummy. I know the thinking to get kids on their tummy for development~but keeping kids out of swings, bouncy chairs, and saucers really helps too.

I hold for all feedings bottle feedings until they can do the cup~caregiving times are our special one on one times, and the babies awake state is for learning the world. the crib is my play area until 4 months when I like the floor for babies to feel and to push up from~everything comes from pushing up from the floor (so containment is contraindicated~carseat time is enough).
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 12:55 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Keep at it, I mean they won't learn how to lift their head up for awhile but at least keep trying to put him on tummy time in the mean time while he learns.
    cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 12:56 PM on Jul. 27, 2010