Bottle Rot :((

I saw a black spot on my 10 month old tooth. so I took him to the dentist yesterday to find out he has bottle rot, all four of his front teeth are decayed. at this rate he wont have those teeth much longer, the dentist spoke of extracting the two eye teeth and trying to save the others. My heart is broken. I brushed his teeth every night, they were all coming in so nicely, he has 9 teeth, and I thought they were fine, to my suprise its the exact oppisite. The dentist said its because I put him to bed with a bottle. Her advice was to STOP fomula, NO JUICE, and only water thoughout the day, and milk twice a day with meals. also to use act mouthwash and fluoride toothpaste after EVERY single thing he ingests. My heart is broken, has anyone else delt with this, and was there babies smile saved, or lost?

JnCV

Asked by JnCV at 12:50 PM on Jul. 27, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No I can't say I have, my kids peditrician warned me all about it.

KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 12:53 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I am so sorry you have to deal with this, No I did not have to deal with this as I read about that before hand..so sorry good luck
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:53 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I'm sorry!

Try not to beat yourself up over it. We all learn, and sometimes in unfortunate ways. You're still just as good of a mom. Just take the precautions next time.

Good luck and I'm sorry for the situation you're dealing with. : ( Hang in there.
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 12:55 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• It's a well known fact that putting your baby to bed with a bottle is a BIG no-no. I'm really sorry that this happened to you and your little baby, but I'd double check the dentists instructions with your pediatricians.
    GigantaursMommy

Answer by GigantaursMommy at 12:56 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• yes, he has an apoitment with his pedi today to talk about it. I heard about not putting your baby to bed with a bottle, but I never heard of a babies tooth rotting because of it. I feel like the worlds worst mother. worst part is, it happened SO FAST- he has only been sleeping with a bottle for about 3 months now, because he just started to be able to hold it himself. I htought it was commen for people to put there babies down with a bottle at about 8 months, I was very wrong, and now my child has to suffer.
    JnCV

Comment by JnCV (original poster) at 12:58 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• He is too young to stop formula, milk is insufficient because he is still growing. you should never give a baby juice anyway. its not the formula but sleeping with formula in the bottle. water for naps and bed is fine though if he needs it for sleeping. i wouldn't do flouride toothpaste brushing because flouride is a poison and should't be swallowed by any one. i wouldn't do mouthwash that young either.

I don't think i would extract, i'd work on stopping damage. brush teeth and floss quickly before bed if he will let you. its bacteria feeding on sugar that causes the destruction. break the cycle.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:03 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I havent dealt with it. That is the exact reason my son never went to bed with a bottle. My friends son did though. They removed all 4 of his front teeth.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 1:03 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• well that dentist sounds like crap!!! baby needs formula or breastmilk till at least 12mo, cow's milk is not a good option yet. mouthwash and fluoride....hell NO! but useing baby toothpaste would be okay.

Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 1:04 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• she told me to dip the tooth brush in act restoring mouthwash, and use a tiny dab of floride tooth paste to protect his teeth, he has an enamel deficiency and soft teeth on top of whats already going on, which is why she told me to use those things. he also has to see a dentist every two months for fluoride treatments. she is trying very hard to save his teeth keep them healthy (enough) , long enough so that she can fill them. His doc said that I should listen to her warnings. but he wants to discuss the milk. He is 11 months in 3 days, he said that we can talk about the formula, but he thinks we should give it another 3 weeks before we make the change to cows milk.
    JnCV

Comment by JnCV (original poster) at 1:07 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Yes, fluoride isn't something I would put in my childrens' mouth... www.fluoridealert.org
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 1:08 PM on Jul. 27, 2010