should we let him out of the crate

We have a three year old beagle who is a handfull. He has always been crated at night but stays in the house uncrated when we are not home (upo to 6 hours) I would really like to get rid of the crate and let him free at night. He does chew if things are left down but has never chewed the furniture. DH is totally against him being free. DH leaves early in the morning for work and I would just feel safer if the dog was out..not that a beagle would protect me but he would sure bark loud so what do you ladies think...take the chance and ditch the crate or is my DH right and we shuld keep with the crate

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:50 PM on Jul. 27, 2010 in Pets

• The theory is that the crate, for dogs, is the same as their den --safe, enclosed and their own.

Why would you take that away from your pet?
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 12:52 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• If he's completely house trained. Knows not to chew on anything but his toys. And knows where his bed is. Like no sleeping on furniture, with you or the kids, etc. Then it'd be okay to let him out of his crate. Otherwise it's a bad idea.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:53 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I would say leave the crate just don't shut it. That way the dog has his sleeping courters. If the dog is left in the house for 6 hours with out major issue I don't see why night would be different. Figure at night he is sleeping.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 12:56 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I dont understand how you can leave in in the house unattended and thats okay but then you have to crate him at night when you guys are home? They should be the other way around right? If he can be home all day long then why not let hm out all night. Good Luck!
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 2:48 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• How about you just leave the crate open at night? I know my dogs each have their own crate and it's never closed anymore. It's like their own personal bedroom/safe haven. If you can leave him free roaming the house when you are not there then there shouldn't be a problem at night.
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 3:01 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I don't understand how you can leave in in the house unattended and that's okay but then you have to crate him at night when you guys are home? They should be the other way around right? If he can be home all day long then why not let hm out all night. Keeping a dog caged when you are home I think is cruel.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 3:54 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I use a crate for day time as well as night time. My dog is in the crate when were gone and when we are sleeping. My older dog is in the laundry room while were gone. I just prefer to contain them.
    I don't know what to tell you. Sometimes my older dog just gets into the crate when some one comes over who she wants to hide from. My dog seems to feel safe in there.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 7:51 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• We use a creat! Our dog is the same he is out all day does very well. We have kept him out and he barked till we put him in his bed! He likes it! You could try it and see what happens!
    jcdmom

Answer by jcdmom at 8:39 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• My dog loves her crate. I leave the door open, but she still sleeps in there all night...and half the day, if I let her! LOL
    Gene_Godwin

Answer by Gene_Godwin at 4:41 AM on Jul. 28, 2010

• Our Belgian Malinois puppy is only in her crate when we leave the house, at night, and while we are eating. I don't understand either why your dog is crated at night but not when y'all are gone. I agree with keeping the crate but having the door open/off so he can still go in there if he wants to.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 8:33 AM on Jul. 29, 2010