• In the Spotlight:

What?????

Warren Jeffs two convictions have been reversed? Opinions?

Lifes-A-Dance

Asked by Lifes-A-Dance at 1:02 PM on Jul. 27, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• The Utah Supreme Court on Tuesday reversed the convictions of polygamist leader Warren Jeffs and ordered a new trial.

Also Tuesday, Jeffs is scheduled to appear in 3rd District Court so a judge can ask him to sign a warrant seeking his extradition to Texas to face criminal charges there.

He isn't off the hook yet.  Looks like they want to retry him and there is also a possibility of him having to face charges in Texas. 

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 1:21 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Ohhh I see, that was in Utah. As close to the left coast as you can get.
    Thats bad but if it makes you feel better He won't get out of it in TX.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 1:34 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• That's bullshit!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:04 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I had heard something about a while back. It stinks. The guy belongs in Jail. I can't really comment more because you didn't link the reasons he was let off.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 1:18 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• The 54-year-old Jeffs was convicted by a southern Utah jury in 2007 of two counts of first-degree felony rape as an accomplice for his role in the 2001 nuptials of a 14-year-old follower to her 19-year-old cousin.

Jeffs is head of the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. The group practices polygamy in marriages arranged by church leaders. The church is based on the Utah-Arizona state line.

Jeffs is serving two consecutive terms of five years to life in the Utah State Prison on the convictions.

The court ruled Tuesday that jury instructions on lack of consent were in error.

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 1:22 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Jeffs also faces criminal charges in Texas.

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 1:30 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I'm glad you guys found more details, the news was very vague here this afternoon. I was hoping he wasn't going to get to just walk away. I remember hearing about how scared the girl was when he was running from the police.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Comment by Lifes-A-Dance (original poster) at 3:19 PM on Jul. 27, 2010