Is it normal for a 5 yr old to throw a tantrum?

It started becase I ask him to pick his toys up, then he argued so I said time for bed. Well, he started crying and that lasted about 30 min. He wouldn't stop so he jumped screamed try to hit and throw stuff. Everything he threw I took. So it went from picking the toys up to having to go to bed to me taking the toys he threw and each of these made things worst. So it lasted a little over and hour. He was so exhausted as was I from him crying. It's like once he hit a point of no return he couldn't get himself calmed down. WOW....I was exhausted and he does this about every so many weeks(3-4). It's not all the time. He did it in the car one day and I had no idea what to do but pull over.

I am a single mother of three boys one 8, 5, and a 4 month old.

berryicy

Asked by berryicy at 1:04 PM on Jul. 27, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Considering how ordinary it is to see adults throwing temper tantrums --from parents in the mall who aren't getting their own way, to Mel Gibson's latest rant-- I can't see why it would be considered unusual in someone as immature as a 5 year old.

Temper tantrums are a late-stage sign of being overwhelmed, overtired, overtaxed, hungry or in need of attenion. By the time they start, the only thing that can stop them is to calm down the world of the child and let the fury and frantic wash through them. As you have experienced, there is no reasoning with a tantruming person, because they have nothing left to reason with. Their bodies are filled to overflowing with stress, and adding more doesn't help.

The trick is, through patient observation and awareness, to figure out what triggers them, and never lead that way again. Feed him more often, if it's hunger. Have a rest period more often if he's overtired. Et cetera.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:08 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Yup. Sometimes, people get mad. Kids are no exception, they just do not always know how to deal with all their emotions. My daughter (6) knows that if she's going to have a fit- she's allowed to do so in her room. When she starts getting that angry, which is rather rare but it does happen, she's sent to her room. Me yelling or screaming is not going to calm her down, she just needs to come to term with her feelings. Usually, after a while of just being mad- she'll come out. We don't speak of it any more, it's done and life goes on. :-)
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 1:10 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• My son is 6 and I thought it was over. My family never had any problems just lazy kids, lol. I feel sorry for how I treated my mom by not cleaning up.
    MrsMoneyPenny

Answer by MrsMoneyPenny at 1:11 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Well, I've seen kids much older throwing a tantrum, so I'd say yes. Maybe he was overtired or just in a bad mood. I think a tantrum can strike any kid in some form or fashion.
    mickstinator

Answer by mickstinator at 1:16 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I'd have to say I think so...I used to babysit a girl who was 5 and OMG could that child get PISSED!
    If I rmember right my 5 yr old had their lovely moments too!
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 1:42 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• What about counseling or just letting him grow up and work through. So What could I do to get help to calm him down?
    berryicy

Comment by berryicy (original poster) at 1:56 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• At 5? no, not normal - but not abnormal either. Consistent expectations and consistent discipline will help a lot.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 2:29 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• NOT TOTALLY UNNORMAL -- LIKE A pp post said its a late stage sign of something being up ... I wouldn't go to counseling over 1 tantrum.... if they happen all the time I'd look to see what triggers it... my ds has been extra tempremental and whiny -- he needs more attention and outside time and I think he's getting a cold all of the above not to mention over tiered and/or over stimulated will do the same...
    he drove me nut at the stores so we came home and did quiet time no tv, no comp. just chill out, read, eat a snack etc.
    Now he's in a great mood
    We all have tantrums sometimes.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 6:39 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Of course its normal for a 5 year old to loose control of there emotions. At 5 years old children really do not have control over there emotions yet. The first reponder Linda Clement gave some great insight.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 10:24 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Temper tantrums don't have an age limit, look at grown ups, they throw them too.............good luck and be grateful it is only now and then.
    roundnround

Answer by roundnround at 10:25 PM on Jul. 27, 2010