Home school or Public school?

I'm a SAHM of 4 kids, ages 5 months to 5 yrs. My son tested for kindergarten a month before he turned five and he scored at the same level as children leaving kindergarten(age 6)- my daughter will be 4 next month and could easily score the same. My oldest is the only boy; he and his sister are so close though, she cried every day when he left for summer school. But he changed so much over just 3 weeks of summer school and it broke my daughters heart. He acted like he was too good to even talk to her! When he'd come home, she run to the door so excited, then he'd just brush past her like she wasn't there. My kids are super sweet, loving kids but this just killed my daughter's spirit and she hasn't changed back since. She's always real timid around her brother now and wants more to do with her 18 month old sister. I know eventually they're going to grow apart...but would I be better off to homeschool him til she can go too?

KariLyn84

Asked by KariLyn84 at 1:14 PM on Jul. 27, 2010 in

• I think it is important for kids, not only to learn, but to interact with other kids. So I much prefer not home-schooling.
    Wedey

Answer by Wedey at 1:16 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I'm from a large family myself, so all they're cousins are about the same age- with a year or two, so it's not like they don't have interaction with kids' their age. I'm just worried about the lack of interaction it caused him going to school and her not getting to yet. I've been "homeschooling" them both since my son was 2.
    KariLyn84

Comment by KariLyn84 (original poster) at 1:19 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• heres the debt: home schooling your kids will learn more than at public school but will lose social interaction.

I am thinking of home schooling after my high school let people graduate that couldn't read or write.
    SolaraDarkset

Answer by SolaraDarkset at 1:19 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I don't think that homeschooling your children is the solution. The problem is your son's newfound attitude... deal with that and things will probably go back to normal. He owes your daughter an apology.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 1:19 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Why would you sacrifice what will benefit your son, for the sake of your daughter- who needs to learn that it's not always fair.
    Obviously he benefited from being around other children, which is why he reacted the way he did... He needs to be around other children, every child does. And not in a closed setting, with only children and families YOU choose for them, HS families simply can not provide the diversity needed to learn to function properly.

Your DD will be fine, it sounds like she is in desperate need of some socialization though.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 1:21 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• it's more than one simple bahavioral mishap though. And I can't control what he's doing or learning from other kids at school... here in lies the problem that home-schooling would solve. He told me he didn't hang out with this one boy because he was always getting in trouble, so he makes good choices, but it's his personality thats changed because of it.
    KariLyn84

Comment by KariLyn84 (original poster) at 1:22 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Does the school offer head start or some type of program that she can go to at the school he's in? My girls are pretty close but they are 2 years apart so they will not be in the same class, and this has me worried, they wanna do eveything together but they are not gonna be able to. I want to homeschool my children.....mostly to protect them from all the bad things in society, the bullies and the dangers or being kidnapped and cause I am a little over protective but I know how important it is for them to get socialized, my girls are starting school next month and we'll see how it goes, I'm being open minded but if at any point I get an indication that they are better off being homeschool then I'll pull them out of public school. I am not going to ignore any signs to later regret it and feel like I could have done more.
    babyangelromero

Answer by babyangelromero at 1:22 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I can't imagine homeschooling. I think the most important part of life is learning to interact with others. Learning that there are other colors, beliefs, feelings and lifestyles is a must! And even kids who are home schooled and then put in to "groups" or sports are only associating with kids they have something in common with... But kids need to learn to get along with people they have nothing in common with... Which homeschooling can't do.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:23 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Home-schooling can definitely create a stronger bond with in your family. But you really need to consider all aspects of the situation. I home-school my boys, and it has been wonderful. There are plenty of better ways to give your kids social interactions, than just sending them away to school. But it really depends on you, and your children. Don't listen to all the nay-sayers, who only bash home-schooling because they don't really understand it. Do what you feel is best for your family.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 1:25 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• things like that happen sometimes with kids. i dont think you should worry. there relationship wont be damaged forever. there not always going to be kids. imagine what will happen when they are teenagers? then adults...

kids need to interact with others. i wouldnt homeschool. my kids will be in public school, or possibly private school if i find one i like & cant afford it.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 1:27 PM on Jul. 27, 2010