Christian vs Xtian?

Please don't take this as me being bitchy... But I see over and over again (usually around Christmas) that replacing the "Christ" part of the title with an X is like removing Christ... Which for Christmas I can see as a good thing, when it's used or celebrated by non-Christians, or in a secular way. But lately I have seen more Christians who use the X to describe their beliefs or label their religion... Which I find odd...

So I'm really just looking for views from everyone? As a Christian does removing the Christ and replacing with an X mean something or not...

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 1:19 PM on Jul. 27, 2010 in Religious Debate

• It was the Christians who adopted the symbol of the cross as their own... and the cross that looks like a t isn't older than the one oriented like an x.

Just so you know.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:20 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• You know... I'm an Atheist... I didn't know that people removed the christ for anything other than a quick way to spell christmas.

I spell it both ways. None are to ignore the history behind christmas.
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 1:21 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Funny thing is the people who gripe about it are mis informed. It never takes Christ out of it. If they knew what the greek letter meant.

"Xmas" is a common abbreviation of the word "Christmas". It is sometimes pronounced /ˈɛksməs/, but it, and variants such as "Xtemass", originated as handwriting abbreviations for the typical pronunciation, /ˈkrɪsməs/. The "-mas" part is from the Latin-derived Old English word for "mass",[1] while the "X" comes from the Greek letter Chi, which is the first letter of the Greek word Χριστός, translated as "Christ".

So I often wonder what they are grippin about... doesnt bother me .. Christ doesnt live in a word He lives in me and that can never be taken away.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 1:23 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I don't know any history about it, but personally when I see it I take it as a disrespect to God, I don't understand when I see Christians do it, I've always felt you should never take Christ out of Christmas, the word Christian, and it should always be capitalized, of course I expect it to be much different for non-Christians, but for people that say they're Christian I find that confusing when they do it....
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 1:24 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I think it seems inappropriate. It's take the "Christ" out of Christian. I hate when I see "Xmas".
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 1:26 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• To me it says one of 2 things. 1. Someone is too lazy to spell the entire word, or 2. Someone is trying to get a rise out of a Believer. Either way, it is childish behavior.
    Momtocccd

Answer by Momtocccd at 1:26 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• If you are a Christian, you are not afraid to use the name of Jesus Christ... you are proud of His name. Same goes for Christmas time - if Jesus' birth was not celebrated on December 25th, the holiday itself, would not exist, so to "X" Christ out of Christmas is sheer blasphemy.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 1:27 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Sabrina see what I mean?
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 1:29 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I figured it was just a common abbreviation because people are too lazy to spell it out. No need to get offended or panties in a twist.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 1:31 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• shane..that's exactly the answer i would've posted..its all literary/language/history..nothing simpler than a google search would tell those that are offended by using 'x', that they have no call to be so.
    and yes, kristi..i am too lazy to spell it out. LOL! we live in the golden-age of texting..and this form of abbreviating has been around for hundreds of years!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 2:19 PM on Jul. 27, 2010