Quick Question...

Has anyone had their gallbladder taken out?? If so did the doctor instruct you to eat a certain way afterwards like no fatty foods, no sweets, etc?? Also did the doctor say that it's possible to have pain in that area or around that area 4 months, 6 months, a year later?? Very Curious....
Thank you

armywife2bnm

Asked by armywife2bnm at 1:49 PM on Jul. 27, 2010 in Food & Drink

• No, my doc never told me to change my diet, but he did say it may be more difficult to digest certain foods, like cruciferous veggies & high fat foods. If I found that a particular food was a problem, I was just to avoid that food.

It can take up to a year after surgery for your body to fully recover, so you may feel more pain in that area than usual. Some people also make more scar tissue than others, so it could be that the scar tissue is getting pulled or something and that hurts b/c it doesn't stretch well. It's been 15 years since I had my gall bladder out and I still get a twinge there every now & again.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 1:56 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I had mine removed about 2 years ago. They told me no fatty foods, no leafy greens, no cabbage and nothing spicy. I had small pains for about 3-4 months after it was removed. Now everything goes straight through me, if ya know what I mean, I spend way more time in the bathroom than I did when I still had it.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 1:54 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I had mine taken out June ? 1981 and I don't remember changing my diet. Was told not to get preg. for at least a year or more.
    SassyDee01963

Answer by SassyDee01963 at 2:03 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I had mine out 2 years ago and was never told to not eat anything specific. I eat everything now. No problems at all. I am no longer always constipated like I had been. I have had no pain at all since then. I feel great. Why do you ask?
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:23 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• My MIL just had hers out in May, and I just asked her almost this same question last week. She was not told to change her diet, but she hasn't been able to eat the same (can't eat much at once, doesn't like coffee anymore really, fairly minor things), but foods that normally triggered an attack before don't bother her anymore. She hasn't had any of the pain issues she had before either, aside from the normal healing stuff.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 9:42 PM on Jul. 27, 2010