I hate living paycheck to paycheck!

Is anyone else with me? Anyone have some tips on where to cut back here or there?

marine_wife0520

Asked by marine_wife0520 at 1:56 PM on Jul. 27, 2010 in Money & Work

• Yes I know what you mean!!! And I'm a marine wife too :-D We started planning out a full week of dinners before we went to the grocery store on the weekends. That way when we went grocery shopping, we weren't just buying whatever looked good, we had a plan and knew our costs. Also, since you are in the military, the commissary seems to have great deals even better than walmart. We went to the one here in Jacksonville, NC (not Camp Lejeune but Camp Geiger) and came out with some great stuff and big smiles!!!
    CassiRae3

Answer by CassiRae3 at 2:01 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I have no advice, I am in the same boat. Every time I get a little saved, I have a crisis.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 2:00 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Join the club. It wasn't always like this but these days.........
    I use coupons, shop on ebay and we have quit going out to eat. I make menus
    and don't buy the snacks and junk we used to buy.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 2:01 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• We live that way too. We have cut back on any kind of "entertainment". No eating out, no snacks while out and about. I just buy what I know I will use and need at the store. I use cloth diapers. I use coupons. If something is on a really good sale and it's a pantry item I buy extra of that. Shop at a discount grocery store about once or twice a month. I don't waste money on things like chips or pop. I make iced tea from regular tea bags. The one snack I always have is cookies or ice cream. We don't buy the babies toys. Most of their clothes are hand me downs or from one of the grandmas. It sucks, but it is the way it is right now.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 2:02 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I'm with ya girl & when somebody finds out how to fix it...let us all know!
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 2:03 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Im in the same boat as you are.
    Mena929

Answer by Mena929 at 2:03 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I'm in the same position, too. It sucks.
    PoisonousBlonde

Answer by PoisonousBlonde at 2:06 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• When we were at a miliatry base, it was actually no cheaper to shop at the commisary. It was actually cheaper at Walmart, since you can get "generic" brands there. Where as at the commisary you only get name brands. I bought the produce and meat and certain items at the comsry, but where we were at it wasn't saving us. Plus, at the cmsry you have to tip the cart pushers, and even though there were no taxes, there are extra charges on there. Having to pay someone a customary 50 cents a bag, just to push it out, is stupid. So I always went in when I needed a few bags and went through the self check out line and took it to my car myself.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 2:08 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I guess its changed then. We just bought 2 gallons worth of detergent for $5. We also got a ton of deals on other foods. Yes they are the name brand but we spent less there then we did when we went to Walmart. Also, nobody pushed our cart out for us?? We told them we had it and that was it.
    CassiRae3

Answer by CassiRae3 at 2:23 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I've always have try to focus on what I have vs. of what I don't have.
    musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 2:31 PM on Jul. 27, 2010