2 year old and newborn?

okay so on Monday i just found out im pregnant again! And i have a 18 month old daughter right now, shes going to be 2 years old and about 2 monthes when this baby is born and i was just wondering if anyones raising a 2 year old and a newborn and how its going for you and how your 2 year old adjusted to the new baby. Im hoping it all works out well this time i have a good supportive guy that loves my daughter to death and i know will make a great daddy but anyways howd it work out?

jaelynsmama07

Asked by jaelynsmama07 at 11:40 PM on Oct. 2, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When I found out I was pregnant with my second our daughter was about to be one. When she could understand what was going on she insisted she had a baby in her tummy too. We had our son when she was 19 months. She was wary of the new visitor and stayed away initially. Then she started to warm up to him. It helps to include the big sister in things to do with the baby. And anyone who answers this will say to make time for her and you one on one but sometimes it isn't a reality so the including thing can help alot. She now loves her brother to death, but she did go through a jelousy period....the hold me, not baby mommy I like to call it. But all is well these days.....I know she wasnt two at the time but she turned two shortly after. Ihope this little ditty of a story helps........Congratulations momma and big sister!
    cherrygirl87

Answer by cherrygirl87 at 11:57 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• My Daughter is 22 months now and my son is 2 months old, so my Daughter was right around 20 months when he was born and she has done AWSOME!!!! she hasn't gotten jealous, she just wants to help and love on her brother all the time. i think if you involve them in the pregnancy, like tellin them they have a baby brother or sister coming, lettin the see the pictures and go to the sonogram appointments with you, they will be excited about the idea of having a baby around and she was. she has been nothing but and angel and wants to include him in everything. I can't leave him at the house and take her anywhere cuz she wants baby to go to. she just loves him to death. i think you will find having babies that close together isn't nearly as hard as some ppl say it is.
    christin_610

Answer by christin_610 at 12:07 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• Ours have been 14 months, 27 months, 19 months, 22 months, and soon to be 33 months apart. The transitions have all gone smoothly and we've talked about babies all along the way. The biggest thing is to not make your whole lives revolve around your toddler before the newbie arrives and then she won't expect it to continue when it does. Blessings and congratulations!
    GrowingMama

Answer by GrowingMama at 12:24 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I found out i was pregnant with my daughter when my son was 11 months old. my daughter was born the day he turned 17 months old. He was kinda off-standish at first. he wouls stay away from her and then when she started to be able to do things and playwith him he has sstarted to really like her. he will sit and play with her and not hurt her he will share his food (he loves his food) its really cute to watch sometimes. now i am going to have another baby in 3 months. and that means i will have a 2 1/2 yr old a 1 yr old and a newborn. and i hope i goes the same way i know my son will be okay with it but its my daughter i'm worried about. Good luck
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:26 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• mine r 18 mo apart and the older one adjusted great
    mommie2twogirls

Answer by mommie2twogirls at 1:03 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I have an 8 month old and a 28 month old (2yrs 4months) so they are 20 months apart. When my baby was born, at first my 2yr old was very cautious yet curious, pretty soon he started petting him and poking around just to see what this new thing was. It took a little time, about a month before he really warmed up. He has never been mean though. Soon he started calling him Baby Gabe, then Gabriel or just plain Baby. Now he is kissing his head every chance he gets. We still have a little issues with sharing toys though. Overall, my oldest did great, but, you need to make sure that your daughter gets plenty of attention and positive re-enforcement from you, she needs to know that she has not been replaced or forgotten about. Life is about to get very busy for you, I know cause it is for me! Congratulations!!
    gt8ful

Answer by gt8ful at 4:46 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• My 2 oldest are 19 months apart. As soon as I found out I was preggo again, we started talking about OUR baby. He was only 10 mo, so to him it was like he was always there. We let him help pick out clothes and toys for his baby brother and always let him play with the babys toys. There wasn't an ounce of jealousy. Well, not at first. Now, 10 years later, is another story! lol.... Congrats and good luck!
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 9:38 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• i tell my son there is a baby in mommys belly... he used to hit my belly... he is very intrested in knowing about a baby... everytime we see a baby he wants to see them... i think he knows hes going to be big brother...
    navywifemomkoch

Answer by navywifemomkoch at 9:42 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I had that situation twice. My now 6 yr old was 2 1/2 when my son was born and my son, almost 3 was 2 1/2 when our last was born. They both did great with it. I held this tradition with our kids (we have 6) to buy them a gift "from the baby" for when I went to the hospital. They weren't allowed to open the gift until the baby was actually born. They felt special. We also told them that were a lot of things that were necessary in keeping a baby happy, like a clean diaper, bringing a toy that makes noise to them, talking and/or singing to them, brushing their hair gently, etc. We told them that we would like their help with all this, they chose the "chore" they wanted to help out. As soon as the baby cried, the one who was in charge of bringing us a clean diaper and wipes would run to do so and the one who was in charge of toys would bring one (or two or three). They were so cute and so helpful.
    cuby

Answer by cuby at 9:57 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• My first was 5 mo, when I found out I was pregnant with my second. We started playing alot with dolls. Showing appropriate behavior with babies. My second was a yr old when I got pregnant for the third time, so she was almost 2 when the twins arrive. She was not interested in the whole doll thing, so I let it go. My now 3 yr old would talk about the babies in my belly and talk to them. She is just a big helper now. My second is content playing in the backyard and has nothing to do with the babies
    vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 12:16 PM on Oct. 3, 2008