Thinking about another baby....nervous...

We have a 1 1/2 year old now and since he was born, my husband and I planned on only him. But now as he's getting older and watching him interact with his little friends, I can't help but feel guilty about it just being him. I think of the long term picture and when my husband and I pass, I fear my son not having a brother or sister there with him. Can anyone give me advice on this?? I am just nervous about having another one. It's not that we can't afford a second baby, I just don't know if I could handle two!! How was the transition from one child to two for you??

CassiRae3

Asked by CassiRae3 at 2:09 PM on Jul. 27, 2010 in General Parenting

• My firstborn was 5 when our second was born. The transition was actually very easy - and my older child loves helping out with his little sister! It definitely helped that my son is older, out of diapers, can communicate easily, etc. I thought for a long time that my son would be an only child but our daughter surprised us :) Now that we have her, I'm so thankful. They love playing together and my son loves being a big brother and being a good role model for lil' sis. That, to me, is so much more important than all the material crap that I could be buying for my son if he were an only child. Family is so much more important.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 2:22 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I have an only and we sometimes.. not as often anymore, but sometimes talk about this - however it makes it easier and we both prefer not to be around our siblings and aren't a very close family without bickering involved somehow... I feel this way.. By max being an Only, he will have SO much more opportunity than we Ever did and we will be able to give him more than we ever had - like vacations and the best schools and some actual brand clothes if needed or bigger gifts for birthdays and he has many cousins he can play with and love on. biggest factor ... He will get to go to college!!! we already started that fund and we never had that... I hope he won't be upset about that but We just want what is best for HIS future..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:13 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Going from one to two was easy!!!! And as they grow they play with each other and keep each other company. If there are not financial reasons stopping you I say go for it!
    Mena929

Answer by Mena929 at 2:11 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• its hard. especially if you have no family support. i am an only child and quite frankly, its all stuff and nonsense about the only child myths. its up to you really, as a couple. pray about it together. thats what we did. you will know what the right answer is for your : ) but i personally don't think you should rush into having another child. they aren't pets :D
    dragonlady320

Answer by dragonlady320 at 2:12 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Well, I know my son isn't a pet......I never said anything that made it sound like he was and that I'd treat our second baby as such. We are adults and are thinking this out very rationally. My son does have cousins, they are a bit older though. The youngest is 6 and they are all girls.
    CassiRae3

Comment by CassiRae3 (original poster) at 2:19 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Thank you MommaofH2! That is the type of answer I was hoping for...same with the first poster, Mena. Maybe if we wait it out another year or two when our son is more independent?? Something to talk to the hubby about!!!
    CassiRae3

Comment by CassiRae3 (original poster) at 2:25 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• There are reasons for both. You have to weigh out which are your priorities.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 2:27 PM on Jul. 27, 2010