Debt snowball question 2

I downloaded an awesome spreadsheet for the debt snowball from Dave Ramsey. What did you do to cut other expenses to save more money. Because as is even with a small snowball we can barely breathe for the debt.

maggiebella25

Asked by maggiebella25 at 2:27 PM on Jul. 27, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• We cut most of the extras. We went with prepaid cell phones instead of a plan (we were already past the end-of-contract date so it didn't cost us anything to terminate). We raised deductibles on our insurance & dropped collision on our oldest vehicles. We cut our grocery bill in half by planning our meals, shopping with a list, cutting out red meat, cooking much more from scratch, & buying store brand and sales only (I can feed my family of 7 on $250 a month or less now, and we eat VERY well). We held a few yard sales, getting rid of everything that we didn't need. I made my own laundry soap, took on any odd jobs, sold decorated cakes (my hobby brought in a few dollars), and learned to cut our own hair. We were going to drop long distance on our landline until the phone company told us about their bundle packages that were WAY cheaper.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 3:31 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• We used our tax returns and paid cash for both of our vehicles, so no car payments, we also had pay as you go phones, so no contract and it cost us about $30 every 2 or 3 months for both. We called around and had some of our insurances adjusted for lower payments, better coverage, just comparison shopping that worked out well for us, lots of places will give you a good deal if you bulk your house and you cars, etc all together, umm, I clip coupons, we used to use cloth diapers, I make my own laundry soap, I do little things like buy refill size things and reuse containers, and I also buy mostly generic groceries. We shut off our cable too at the beginning of the summer and we really don't miss it, even though my dh is starting to get nervous with football season coming up, but that has saved us some cash. I've sold things on Craigslist, I don't shop, I buy most things used. I rummage sale shop a lot!!!
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 2:51 PM on Jul. 27, 2010