My husband and his effin mother.....

Tomorrow I am supposed to go have my first "girl's day out' EVER! I'm a SAHM of 4 under 5, I never go anywhere but the ob/gyn alone! Seriously- I don't do spa days or get my nails or hair done- I never go anywhere alone. My mom and both my sisters are going shopping in the city I live near (they're all two hrs away so I never see any of them)
My MIL invited us to go to Silver Dollar City and I told her no thanks, that Wes is staying home so I can go out for a few hrs. Well, she showed up at his work today and got her claws in him. Now he wants to take the kids to SDC out in the HEAT all effin day! My littlest are 5 months and 18 months and still NEED their naps and cannot take that long out doors. Not only that, her rig will not fit 3 carseat in the back and one of my kids would be sitting in my husbands' lap. He doesn't see a problem with this? WTF do I do to make sure he doesn't go...other than miss out.

KariLyn84

Asked by KariLyn84 at 2:47 PM on Jul. 27, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I would tell him this was the plan and it should be kept. Tell him how much this means to you and how this is your moment. Do not let them ruin a moment you could have out. GL Momma
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 2:53 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• That is ridiculous.. Arg.. I would be so furious - this sounds SO much like my MIL I'm so sorry you have to deal with this
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:54 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Call her yourself and tell her NO.
    echoishername

Answer by echoishername at 2:48 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• the only real problem i see in all of this is the child sitting on your husbands lap. it's dangerous. other than that i dont see why they shouldnt go. i took my 4 month old dd to SDC in july. she did just fine.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 2:51 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I would suggest talking to you husband and make sure he realizes that

1. having a kid sitting in your lap in the front seat is illegal
    2. That the little ones can't handle the heat
    3. The little ones still need a nap.

Maybe after a calm talk he might be able to see your side of things.
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 2:51 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Firstly I would let him know that it IS illegal for a child to be on his lap in a vehicle and out of a carseat or booster seat if they are under 8 years or 80 pounds, and that it is endangering the child. Other than that I really couldn't tell you because of the fact I don't know your hubby or how he is. I personally would bring up the fact you're at home all the time with them and never get a chance to go out on your own and do something. If he goes out with friends or whatever I'd tell him that its unfair for him to go out and do stuff without kids while you stay with them if he can't reverse the role and let you go out and do something while he keeps them. I hope that you can get some sense talked into him especially about having your child on his lap in a moving vehicle.
    Tabatha42183

Answer by Tabatha42183 at 2:53 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Other than the car seat problem, I say let them go. When the kids get hot, tired and cranky I bet they put them back in the car and bring them back home. Prove to her and your DH they are too young. Don't forget the sunscreen.
    Nykyria

Answer by Nykyria at 2:56 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• SDC with a baby is not the problem. We took my 18 month old all last summer- the problem is my babies going with him and his mother! They don't babysit, my husband never takes care of the kids! (My husband has changed maybe 4-5 diapers and fed 3 bottles....we have 4 under 5 ....yeah....) His mom and him have no respect for rules, schedule, safety, nothing. "Oh, it'll be fine" is what my husband keeps saying. My 5 month olds carseat does not fit anywhere in her back seat. She's so big her seat is back all the way and her passanger seat doesn't adjust- it too is too far back to put the cs in properly. Aside from that, when I go with them I leave the group often to take my kids into a restaraunt to cool off, get a drink whatever and they're not like they. They see the kids as baggage and won't do anything to the benefit of the kids.. I'm screwed. I'm going to either have to take them with me or not go.
    KariLyn84

Comment by KariLyn84 (original poster) at 3:01 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Regardless of anything else, I would tell both of them that holding a child on their lap in the front seat is illegal (since neither of them seems to know that) and that if they take the kids to SDC without having them in proper car seats that you will call and report the tag number to the cops. You're their mom, and if dad can't be bothered to see to the safety of his own children than you must.

That's just plain nuts, along with being potentially deadly. If they are willing to risk the life of any of the children just to ruin your day out, there are far bigger problems that need to be addressed than their just upsetting your plans. Whether or not you normally get out of the house isn't really the issue that I see ~ what I see is wilfull child endangerment.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 3:02 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I would say no and explain to your husband that you are with your kids all the time and it is not fair for you to give up this time or risk your kids' safety. Or if he can ensure that they'll all be restrained according to the law then he can deal with them for the rest of the day and see if he made the right choice! He'll see how it really is when he has the kids on his own. Also make it be known that he will be the one to deal with the kids if he chooses to throw them off their schedule!
    mom2averal

Answer by mom2averal at 3:04 PM on Jul. 27, 2010