What are the signs of alcoholism? What can I do?

Let me start w/ he wasn't like this before. Over 5 years ago, everything was different. We both would have a drink when we went out. Only when he hung w/ a particular friend would he drink excessively.
About 5yrs ago he was arrested & had to attend AA meetings. He's had his licencse suspended. A year before was found by the police asleep in the car just outside of a bar. Recently, I left for about 2 hours for a dr appt & came home to him sleep on the chair. He did put the kids in the crib to keep them out of trouble. He goes out 5-7 days a week & comes home & falls asleep on the sofa. Sometimes dressed, other times half dressed. I have even found him on the toilet sleeping. When he comes home from drinking, he gets another before going to bed.
I asked him before & he slowed down for a day or 2 but started up again. He's never gone more than 2 days w/o a drink. A fifth of Remy might last him 3days.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:56 PM on Jul. 27, 2010 in Relationships

• It is what it is, alcoholism. I am so sorry that you have to deal with this. I am no expert but can you get in touch with his old sponsor from AA and talk to that person & ask for help? Good luck & be strong.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:01 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I think your hubby is probably addicted. Have you told family and friends about this problem? If not, please do so. Then I would ask for him to become accountable to someone else other than just yourself. The first time you realize he has fallen off the wagon, I would call that other person and tell him what has happened. I would then do an intervention and get him into some kind of detox and/or rehab. It is very likely that he will be able to quit cold turkey, but I would probably give him the opportunity to try. He has most likely already reached the point where his body has to have the alcohol in order to function. But I think he definitely needs help.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 3:17 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Lying about drinking or how much he drank is a big flashing sign. Repeated trips to abc a sign. Always noticing his chaser is in stock when nothing else is. Staying up late drinking. Finding that you have become a baby sitter and not just a wife. If it seems he never drives anywhere and you become a taxi.
    whistlemom3

Answer by whistlemom3 at 3:20 PM on Jul. 27, 2010