Co sleeping/breastfeeding question

My sons bassinet is right beside my side of the bed and I had every intention on him sleeping in his bassinet but when I lay him down at night after he nurses he will wake up as soon as I lay him down and finally I gave in and he sleeps so much better but I don't want this to become a habit... My question is when can I start sleeping him in his crib without him already being spoiled to my bed? Oh, he will be 3 weeks old Thursday.

nakoal87

Asked by nakoal87 at 2:56 PM on Jul. 27, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I coslept with my oldest son, for me it was a HUGE mistake, after a couple weeks he was spoiled to my bed and would NOT sleep by himself, I didn't get him COMPLETELY out of my bed until he was almost 3 years old, I could get him to sleep in a playyard right beside my bed a few times a week but when he woke up and realized he was there he was not happy about it lol. But with each child it will be different, you may be able to cosleep with him for a while and be able to put him in his own bed and not have a problem. Good luck!
    Tabatha42183

Answer by Tabatha42183 at 3:00 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• With my first I always nursed her in a rocking chair and then put her in her crib. It worked perfectly. However with my second I tried to do the bassinet by the bed, she loved to sleep with me, she would just cuddle right in, I gave in too. LOL I tried to put her back in the bassinet or crib a billion times after the first month. She was not giving up her spot in my bed, it wasn't until she was about 9 months that I was forced to do the cry it out thing and it sucked. I say the sooner the better, I think they don't last as long and fall asleep sooner. Good luck.
    Nykyria

Answer by Nykyria at 3:00 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Never :p

But you have to weigh the pros and cons of each situation.
    If he sleeps in bed with you, you will all get the rest you need-pro!
    If he sleeps in bed with you, you will eventually have to help him trasnition to his own bed- con.
    If you keep putting him in his own bed, he will eventually like sleeping there-pro.
    If you keep putting him in his bed, you will have to live without sleep for however long it takes to get him to like his crib-con.

With all of that being said... I co slept with all three of my kids. I figured that I would rather get as much extra sleep as I could when they were really little and were waking up every few hours. And if it is just a matter of rolling over and offering the breast... it means MORE sleep. If you have to fight him to sleep in his own bed everytime you feed him at this stage, you will get NO sleep. f he is awake every 3 hour and you spend an hour feeding him and putting him to...
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 3:09 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• bed everytime, that is 3-4 hours of sleep you are missing each night. NO thanks. If you wait until he is older to transition him to his bed, then he will be sleeping longer periods of time so even if it takes an hour to feed him and get him in bed, if he is only waking up once or twice that is half the time awake each night. plus your body will have regenerated some by then.
    As long as you transition between ages 12-15 months it shouldn't be too hard. My ped told me that babies start making habits by age 15 months, so it is best to stop doing things like co-sleeping, bottles, pacifiers before 15 months. I found that to be true for us. With my oldest we didn't transition him to his own bed until he was 2 and it took forever. With the second and third we did it at 13 and 14 months and it was much easier. Only about a week for each of them.
    SleepingBeautee

• When you get to that point if you send me a pm I can give some pointers about how I transitioned from co-sleeping to crib.
    Good luck! This is something you need to follow your heart in. You are either a co-sleeper or not and you need to figure out that for yourself.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 3:10 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I co-slept & got so much flack for it. Babies cannot be spoiled until around after age 1 or so.. And everything you do with a child is a just a habit your going to have to change. i dont care what it is! If you bf you will wean one day. if you bottlefeed that has to be weaned as well.. if you co-sleep one day you will want them in a crib. or if you put them in a crib you will have to wean them to a toddler bed one day. its just a part of parenting.. things change constantly with a baby/kid..
    What makes you & baby happiest NOW!? I got 10x more sleep because i coslept & bf... my baby got more sleep too..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 3:30 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I cosleep and I love it. We sidecarred a crib for additional room but right now its my laptop holder :) I like being able to attend to all my babies needs at the same time getting lots of sleep. The previous poster is right, there are all sorts of transitions. It's not bad to cosleep and it isn't a bad habit. In most of the world, babies sleep with their mothers. That's the way babies are built and what nature intended. http://www.freewebs.com/sidecarcrib/
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 3:40 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Co-sleeping is a survival tool. And NO, baby is not SPOILED. I rather think the parents are the spoiled ones. Especially dads who don't get up. **grin**

Answer by gdiamante at 10:56 PM on Jul. 27, 2010