Question for Atheists....

Okay so I am Atheist, if I had to label myself that is. And I was wondering if any of you have anxiety about dying? I do. I have since I was a little girl. I think it is because of the what if. What if the Christians are actually right? I would love to be able to believe it too. But I just can't. Also I guess the idea of just being gone kinda freaks me out too. Not sure why.

jenae_gist

Asked by jenae_gist at 2:56 PM on Jul. 27, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Im atheist.. Im scared to die.. I think its just normal.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 2:57 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Atheist, and no anxiety about dying. No worrying or wondering if Chrsitians or anyone else is "right". It is what it is. One day I will die, until then I will simply live my life the best I know how and enjoy life for what it is. If I die tomorrow then so be it. I know today I have lived my life the best I know how and that my friends, family will miss me and appreciate the time they had with me and know that I loved them as well.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 3:10 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Kristi, you're lucky. I wish I could just be like that.
    jenae_gist

Comment by jenae_gist (original poster) at 3:13 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Laying in cold dirt for all eternity is just not concievable to me. When I look at the amazing nature around me I know... there is something more. I feel there is something great in the hear after. I got less to lose to believe that way. and I love hope not despair. I got to know those I loved with my all and lost are to be reunited or what's the use to pick up and carry on through this life.
    whistlemom3

Answer by whistlemom3 at 3:16 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I simply have a different outlook on life than others. I mean you could have a similar one but you need to figure out what it is you want form life, what in life is important to you, focus on that and damn the rest.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 3:19 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I know this says for atheists and I'm not atheist I do believe in God but I think most everybody wether they believe in God or not has anxiety about dying. I do, it's not so much I'm afraid of it as it is that I want to see my kids grow up, graduate, get married and have kids. Its the fear of the unknown more than anything for a lot of people. It's normal for anybody not just you but I can see how you feel about the what ifs? I think that there's no right answer until we die and find out what, if anything is on the other side or if we're just thrown in the ground and that's it, nothing more.
    Tabatha42183

Answer by Tabatha42183 at 3:21 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I'm not afraid of dying, but I'm a little afraid of the way I'll die. One of my biggest fears is suffocation (drowning, choking, ect...). But as for what hapens after, I'll only be ashes in the jar.
    I understand your fear though. I used to be afraid when I was questioning what I was taught as a kid. But I came to realize that this is what I beleive (or don't depending on how you look at it). It wasn'( an overnight thing. A lot of thought went into it. So I just live my life as best I can and my only concern is what I do while I'm alive and breathing, not what happens after my body stops working.
    I wish you luck in figuring it out. :-) It's hard, but so freeing. :-)
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 3:25 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I got less to lose to believe that way. and I love hope not despair

Believing that nothing happens after you die and this life is the one and only you have isn't despairing. It's realistic and enables one to make the most out of life while making the best out of it too. It all comes down to what YOU make of it. I choose to be optimistic about it and take the best things out of it. Knowing this life is my one and only gives me greater appreciation for those things.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 3:27 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• i'm borderline Atheist. I have always had a "fear" about death. Especially since my son came along. If I die tomorrow, WTH will his fate be? Will he be abused? Will he remember me? I dont wanna die...I want to see him graduate from college.....but this isnt the way to live ya know? Being paranoid like this can cause sickness. In times of mourning I try to imagine the soul reuniting with loved ones and they all sit around and catch up...but for all I know, when they die, everything turns to blackness and that's it. Just like the time period between being awake and being asleep. No one can recall that time frame between consciousness and unconsciousness. This is nothingness no one can explain because that part of the brain shuts off. I prefer the fairy tale ending of reuniting with loves ones because it brings me at ease.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 3:35 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I prefer the fairy tale ending of reuniting with loves ones because it brings me at ease.

For all anyone knows you could be right, even as an Atheist. Atheist simply means you don't believe in a god. An afterlife is a completely different matter. ;D
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 3:42 PM on Jul. 27, 2010