How long did you co sleep with your LO?

I have a 3 week old son and as of right now he is sleeping in the bed with us, some of the night. When did you break this habit and did you wait too long? I do not want our son sleeping with us for long. Just until he starts sleeping better at night. Right now he is waking up every 1-3 hours. 3 hours if he is in the bed with us but not but about 1 maybe 2 if he is sleeping in his bassinet. Please help.

nakoal87

Asked by nakoal87 at 3:00 PM on Jul. 27, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Oh, he is breastfed so that is why he is waking up so often, to nurse.
    nakoal87

Comment by nakoal87 (original poster) at 3:01 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• My son is 2 years old and he sometimes sleeps with me still, lol
    Peekalou

Answer by Peekalou at 3:01 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I did wait too long to try to get my oldest out of my bed, he was almost 3 before he completely got broke of being in the bed with me. With my youngest I didn't even start it but he was in the same room. If I have another I won't even do that. But your child could be different and not have a problem of cosleeping and then going straight to his own bed.
    Tabatha42183

Answer by Tabatha42183 at 3:01 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I have never let any of my children co sleep. They were always in a bassinet next to the bed.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 3:01 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• None of our three children ever slept in the bed with us. We had a cradle in which they slept right next to our bed until they were 3 or 4 months old. This was before the days of monitors. When they outgrew the cradle, they were moved to cribs in separate rooms. We never had any kind of sleeping problems except for times of teething or sickness. All of our children slept through the night by the time they were 3 weeks old. They were old full-term babies born naturally without any kind of intervention. They are today all well-adjusted adults so I think the fact they never were allowed to sleep in our bed didn't hurt them at all.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 3:03 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• 10 months
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 3:03 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I have a 4 week old daughter who is nursing. I just started letting her sleep in bed with me a couple nights ago, hubby goes to sleep on the couch since he has to work. She was waking every 2-3 hours when sleeping in her crib, now she sleeps closer to 4 hours at a time.
    I didn't co-sleep with my first, but we did/do let him come in bed with us when he wakes in the middle of the night! He's 3 1/2 and usually comes in our bed once every week or two!
    austinsmama1106

Answer by austinsmama1106 at 3:03 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I am not condemning anyone here,.... but I wouldn't sleep with an infant...as they get older I see no problem with it...but its unsafe for a baby to be in an adult bed. A person that my mother knows had their infant in bed and it accidentally suffocated. So sad ):
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 3:17 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Do you have a bassinet? If not move the crib into your room to get him use to his bed and then once he is use to it move it back into the room you want it in.. I had our son sleeping in the bassinet for the first couple weeks well to be honest maybe a month and a half, then he started to sleep in his crib in his room..
    mblucky

Answer by mblucky at 3:19 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I did a bassinet next to my bed for the first couple months and then moved them into a crib until they were sleeping all night, around 6 months and then moved them to their own room after that. I never put them in my bed because it was too hard to get decent rest worrying about rolling over on them.
    I also breastfed, but I had a favorite chair to relax in while feeding them...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 3:19 PM on Jul. 27, 2010