5 month old won't nap

I'm lucky if I get 2 10-15 min naps a day. She stays up until 10:30 and is awake by 7:30 every day. Dd is ebf and has a 2 1/2 yr old bro. Any suggestions on how to encourage a nap with my baby?

bloomsr

Asked by bloomsr at 3:02 PM on Jul. 27, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sorry, mine won't nap either, but when you figure it out, please share!! Good luck.
    DMac08

Answer by DMac08 at 3:05 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I had a NON Napper too - that's all I got PLUS 14 hours of Colicky crying for 6 months... I feel for you mommy... I would like to tell you he's a great sleeper now that he's 2-1/2 but... that might be a lifelong battle :)
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:07 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• My 7 month old takes a nap every 1-2 hours for around 45 min. or longer.

It wasn't easy to get her there.

How I did it: So she's awake and I'm ready to put her down... She's fed changed, in clean clothes, and given hugs. I lay her in her crib, give her a binki and blanket. She now just rolls to her side cuddling her blanket and I walk out. She doesn't even cry. Well sometimes she does if she's really just not tired, then I grab her bring her out put her infront of toys for 10-20 min. Then try again.

At first your baby will cry mine I let cry for 10 min. give binki again and walk out. It took doing this numerous times before she got used to it, and stopped crying. I know many moms say don't let them cry and what not... but I think it was SO worth it. She's better rested and so am I. Win- Win. msg me if you need more info and what not.
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 3:10 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I wonder if she is over tired. THat is just not a lot of sleeping for a five month old! Mine were all sleeping 18 hours total at that age. I know every infant is different, but it sounds like she is not getting the needed sleep.

I would just keep trying different methods. Will she go back to sleep after nursing in the morning when she wakes up? Try putting her down for a nap after she has only been up for 1-2 hours. Also try making the bedroom dark, turn on a noisemaker or a fan to drown out the older brother, etc.

Sorry. I wish I had an answer for you that I knew would work! :-D
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 3:17 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• It took about a week of consistency. 6am breakfast, play... nap.... some solids play water/milk nap.... every about 3 hours if you include her playtime and such. We go outside sit on the grass her brother 4... plays and just staying active with them helps too.

Good luck :D
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 3:21 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• My son was 3 months old when he quit taking naps. The good thing was he also slept through the night from 10 pm to 6:30 am so I got decent sleep. All children are different. My daughter wanted to get up 3 or 4 times a night and sleep all day. Try some of the suggestions. Fresh air and activity can help but know that things will change and get some help if you need it.
    emerald0527

Answer by emerald0527 at 3:41 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• You are getting a long stretch of sleep at night, the trade off is shorter naps or no naps. enjoy it while it lasts. the VAST majority of babies night wake and sleep patterns change a lot in the first year. if you try to "fix" what isn't broken you may find yourself with less night sleep. not all babies need the exact same amount of sleep every day or the same as another baby or in the same sequence. it won't even settle until age 3 or 4.

fyi she may fall asleep while you do chores if you wear her in a sling or wrap. babies tend to sleep better with proximity and normal activity.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 4:37 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I would aim for a 12 hour stretch at night (will wake to feed obviously) and hopefully that will fix any nap refusal for being over tired. I highly recommend "No-Cry Sleep Solution" by Elizabeth Pantley
    Banani263

Answer by Banani263 at 3:43 AM on Jul. 28, 2010