Are there any guidelines on how to prevent the school bringing in Peanuts into the classroom-i am scared!!!

My kids have severe Peanut Allergies and other foods.

purpleglitter

Asked by purpleglitter at 3:06 PM on Jul. 27, 2010 in Health

• my daughters school doesnt allow nuts on the property period because of a few kids with allergies. just talk to the school and they will atleast make your childs classroom nut free.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 3:08 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Both the preschool and the school my son goes to now, you are not allowed to bring in anything unless it's packages with lable on it. You can't even bring in cupcakes for birthdays or anything like that. Check with the school because they probably already have these "rules" in place.
    Rachel24517

Answer by Rachel24517 at 3:09 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Usually you tell the teacher upfront and put it on the nurse form. Teachers usually take allergies pretty serious. But you can ask teacher to send a letter home telling parents not to send in any peanut related snacks due to health concerns.
    whistlemom3

Answer by whistlemom3 at 3:09 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• i would talk to the teacher and the principal about it
    nickellmomof2

Answer by nickellmomof2 at 3:12 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• At my sons preschool, there is a sign on the door that says they are a peanut free room. They also ask you to wash your hands upon entering the room.
    austinsmama1106

Answer by austinsmama1106 at 3:12 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I know for our school if their is a child in the class with a peanut allergy then anything with peanuts in it (or chance of having peanuts in it) is banned from the room. Just make sure to tell the teacher about it and tell her/him about your concerns.
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 3:12 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• You will have to fill out papers and it will ask if your child is allergic to anything. My son's elementary school has the same rule as a lot of schools that food prepared at home is not allowed to be brought in. It has to be packaged by a store with an ingredients list on it.
    Tabatha42183

Answer by Tabatha42183 at 3:12 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I have tried everything and are at my wits end, they are not allowing me to ban the food from the classroom. They are saying i will have to come in on every party, birthday to watch my kids 8 and 5. They are ignoring our requests. They rather have my kids out of school on the days rather than just having snacks out the room. I feel when my kids are at home with me they are 100% safe as no food is here that they are allergic to. Egg, Peanuts, Tree Nuts, Legumes, Lentils, Chick pea, Kidney bean, Shellfish, Garden Pea, Green Pea and more. I am willing to adjust to just peanuts. I cannot tell you how much i beg and plea with them, and they would rather have me there. I might aswell have a job there. A classroom should be a classroom about educating them, but eating snacks in there, i am feeling anxiety all the time, my life revolves around caring for their safety i now need something at school. Why do i feel guilty in asking?
    purpleglitter

Comment by purpleglitter (original poster) at 3:30 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I'm surprised they aren't afraid of a law suit. If you've spoken with the principal and gotten no where, then try the superintendent. If that still gets you no where, then contact your local news station and put the public eye on this issue. With enough pressure from the community, a public school will comply. So many schools are peanut free that it makes no sense why your school is making an issue of this. I have food allergies and so do my children, so I understand your fears.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 3:34 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• I 100% agree with ThrivingMom!
    RoostersMom4

Answer by RoostersMom4 at 3:38 PM on Jul. 27, 2010